Originally Posted by kpswihart
Does he want to stay in AL? I retired in 2018 as the Petersburg Borough (Alaska) Chief of Police and Chairman of the Alaska Police Standards Council, and work for a federal agency now. I graduated from the FBI National Academy, #258. Alaska agencies, in rural areas are well paid, trained and equipped. And, the adventures are irreplaceable.

Alaska State Troopers currently start recruits w/ bachelor degrees at $41.21 per hour, and that climbs quickly.
Anchorage PD is starting at $38.11 / hr.

Many agencies will be in that range and offer signing bonuses and moving allowances. I know senior officers who make well over $100k. All offer shift differential and other incentive pay. Most have take home vehicles, troopers may assign airplanes, boats, snowmachines, ATVs, etc...

Federal agencies have similar pay rates and retirement benefits, other than health insurance. Work 25 in AK and you and your spouse's health insurance is covered premium free for life.

One more caveat, federal agencies offer a great job, but most aren't doing real police work. State and local agencies are the tip of the spear. Reach out if you have any AK questions.

If I was a young man I would definitely look into this. What a beautiful state to work and play in! Thank you for your service.

Proud Army and ALNG veteran
God Bless America!