</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO Mathews switchback
by buzzard. 06/03/24 09:51 PM
Mathews vxr 31.5
by 3blades. 06/03/24 08:27 PM
Colt ar 22lr
by 3blades. 06/03/24 08:21 PM
Free Blue Lacy Puppies
by StateLine. 06/03/24 12:34 PM
(2) AR15 rifles and Glock 26
by Bcleck90. 06/03/24 10:15 AM
Serious Deer Talk
New Tracking Rules
by Frankie. 06/03/24 11:41 PM
Shooting Houses
by jwalker77. 06/03/24 09:53 PM
Here you go CNC
by CNC. 06/03/24 09:26 PM
Are these the good ol’ days??
by hunterbuck. 06/03/24 02:35 PM
Community scrapes
by kodiak06. 06/03/24 02:23 PM
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Looking for a couple guys
by MoeBuck. 05/25/24 06:25 PM
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (10mm, sanderson, Ryano, FX4, bhammedic84, Thread Killer, 3blades, sw1002, BC_Reb, 1 invisible), 470 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Troubled child? [Re: TexasHuntress] #4073639
01/30/24 12:12 PM
01/30/24 12:12 PM
Hoover
F
Fattyfireplug Offline
Booner
Fattyfireplug  Offline
Booner
F
Hoover
Originally Posted by TexasHuntress
Originally Posted by Lockjaw
No on the GF and add meds. Adderall XR works, but it's been hard to get. I've gotten 3 different scripts, one was vyvanse which works well for me, and he takes 3 or 4 pills and says they don't work. That's part of the issue, if he took it for a few weeks, then it would be easier to tell. But vyvanse isn't a cheap one either.

He wants to be a fireman. He's been to alabaster and they tested him on the physical test, you have 8 minutes to do it and he did it in 4. Beat everyone in the class. They will hire him when he graduates, assuming he does, and will send him to emt/paramedic school, but then I go, how the heck is he gonna pass that if he won't even do school work now?

Have you straight out asked him why he isn't interested in doing the school work in high school? It could be as simple as the subjects he is taking just do not interest him. Is there a class that he does actually do well in, and if so, does it fall in line with what he would be learning as a FF/EMT/paramedic? It seems reasonable to me that if someone already has no interest in the subject matter then having ADD on top of that would be very difficult to have the motivation to do the required work in the class.

I can tell you this with certainty, to become a firefighter in Alabama you have to pass basic EMT as well. Most Fire Departments now require at least Intermediate if not Paramedic to get a foot in the door. Paramedic is exceptionally hard for people with drive and education. People without it will most likely not pass. Firefighter/Medic is NOT for people who don't do well in school or hate learning. Firefighters spend their entire career learning and renewing skills. It's constant.

I'd be happy to meet with father / son to lay that out for him. I've helped others get in the service, he wouldn't be the first.

Character is not developed in moments of temptation and trial. That is when it is intended to be used.
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4073641
01/30/24 12:20 PM
01/30/24 12:20 PM
Andalusia, Covington County, A...
TexasHuntress Offline
14 point
TexasHuntress  Offline
14 point
Andalusia, Covington County, A...
If that phone is anything more than a flip phone, then he has access to social media and pretty much anything else one can access online with a computer.

I would take the phone and even though it would be a pain in the butt, there would be no more girlfriend driving him anywhere either.

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.---Winnie the Pooh
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Fattyfireplug] #4073648
01/30/24 12:54 PM
01/30/24 12:54 PM
North AL
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Happy Birthday AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
North AL
Originally Posted by Fattyfireplug
Originally Posted by TexasHuntress
No on the GF and add meds. Adderall XR works, but it's been hard to get. I've gotten 3 different scripts, one was vyvanse which works well for me, and he takes 3 or 4 pills and says they don't work. That's part of the issue, if he took it for a few weeks, then it would be easier to tell. But vyvanse isn't a cheap one either.

He wants to be a fireman. He's been to alabaster and they tested him on the physical test, you have 8 minutes to do it and he did it in 4. Beat everyone in the class. They will hire him when he graduates, assuming he does, and will send him to emt/paramedic school, but then I go, how the heck is he gonna pass that if he won't even do school work now?

Have you straight out asked him why he isn't interested in doing the school work in high school? It could be as simple as the subjects he is taking just do not interest him. Is there a class that he does actually do well in, and if so, does it fall in line with what he would be learning as a FF/EMT/paramedic? It seems reasonable to me that if someone already has no interest in the subject matter then having ADD on top of that would be very difficult to have the motivation to do the required work in the class.

I can tell you this with certainty, to become a firefighter in Alabama you have to pass basic EMT as well. Most Fire Departments now require at least Intermediate if not Paramedic to get a foot in the door. Paramedic is exceptionally hard for people with drive and education. People without it will most likely not pass. Firefighter/Medic is NOT for people who don't do well in school or hate learning. Firefighters spend their entire career learning and renewing skills. It's constant.

I'd be happy to meet with father / son to lay that out for him. I've helped others get in the service, he wouldn't be the first.

This sounds like a great idea.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4073658
01/30/24 01:10 PM
01/30/24 01:10 PM
Right Behind You
W
William Offline
Booner
William  Offline
Booner
W
Right Behind You
Anyone been thru it and have advice?

All of this and worse. My wife and I made a lot of mistakes, but we tried very hard with our daughter. It took her falling far before finally turning it around. The right man in her life made all the difference. My wife and I thank God every day for my son-in-law. She still has her moments, but the stability of a partner has made all the difference in the world.

"The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing... compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."

Joan Robinson
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4073699
01/30/24 01:49 PM
01/30/24 01:49 PM
Alabama
B
bama_earl Offline
8 point
bama_earl  Offline
8 point
B
Alabama
I whopped my son with a belt but after 13 I quit, but really didn't need too after he turned 13. I am pro spankings but feel it can do just as much harm as good once they get older.

My brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was little and was struggling with school but my mom said no to putting him on meds. He struggled with school but he made it, he played football and baseball so he had to keep his grades decent but he was never college material. My daughter struggled with school and we had her tested, the doctor again said she had ADHD. I told the doctor she was not hyper active and he said she had silent ADHD, whatever. We dropped her down to the general classes and she was fine. I have taken Adderall and its speed, no doubt about it. I feel it should be avoided unless in extreme situations.

At this point, I would not worry about school. Why fight that battle, if he fails out this year just take him to get his GED. Also, never use items like cell phones and video games to entice good behavior. Parents are using cell phones to parent children and its a no win situation. Get him a flip phone and sell the Xbox. Also, the bus runs everyday. He can ride the bus and come home after school. Forget allowing him to use your truck so he can get to work. Just provide shelter and food, that's it.

Now I am not going to allow any of my kids to outright disrespect me. I don't really care if they 18 or 25. If they want to go then let's go buddy.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4073702
01/30/24 01:53 PM
01/30/24 01:53 PM
north Alabama
biglmbass Offline
14 point
biglmbass  Offline
14 point
north Alabama
Can you even get a fire dept job w'out a HS diploma? It was or used to be a coveted position & there was a waiting list at one time in my hometown. Just seems like you'd easily be passed over w'out a diploma.

Originally Posted by hillmp
The left lane is for the the purpose of moving the flow of traffic forward regardless of the speed limit. If your impeding the flow of traffic get your ass in the right lane. It's really that simple...

Re: Troubled child? [Re: jake5050] #4073717
01/30/24 02:24 PM
01/30/24 02:24 PM
Alabama
Jakethesnake Offline
The Flippin’ Idiot That Could Care Less
Jakethesnake  Offline
The Flippin’ Idiot That Could Care Less
Alabama
Originally Posted by jake5050
I can tell you from experience sitting in jail with no one to get you out changes attitudes. I had to learn the hard way when I was younger.

Me too. I honestly believe we all have to figure out our ourselves. I know I did. I was a really wild kid til I hit 30yrs old. I just got tired of living that way and can't have a career with drug testing so I straightened up. I didn't have anyone to teach me correctly. My dad and grandpa weren't good mentors. My biggest problem was hanging around the wrong crowd. Everyone in my neighborhood was bad. It seemed like half of Grissom was no good when I attended about 22yrs ago.

The last thing you want to hear is a dad yelling at you. I think the best thing is to cut them off completely from any help. Make a strict curfew and if they want a phone or anything, make them go flip burgers or get into a trade and earn it.

School is over rated for people like me. If my son wants to quit and get his GED and go into trade school, I will support him 100%.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: biglmbass] #4073795
01/30/24 04:15 PM
01/30/24 04:15 PM
Hoover
F
Fattyfireplug Offline
Booner
Fattyfireplug  Offline
Booner
F
Hoover
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Can you even get a fire dept job w'out a HS diploma? It was or used to be a coveted position & there was a waiting list at one time in my hometown. Just seems like you'd easily be passed over w'out a diploma.

Maybe with a GED, I haven't checked in a while and it's a bit insulting to some that people act like anyone can do it. I watched some strong good men who failed out of rookie school for one reason or another. The entire first year, at least in my area, you can be fired without cause. I've seen it happen. Show up late? Gone. Lazy? Gone. Can't grasp the concepts? Gone. Complain or whine too much? Gone.

The biggest reason was many couldn't handle the physical requirements to get through rookie school. My class had two fail out because of claustrophobia issues. Another just couldn't physically do it. Some failed with grades. It's not easy to make it through, but if you do, and you are halfway decent, you might make a career of it.

Last edited by Fattyfireplug; 01/30/24 04:17 PM.

Character is not developed in moments of temptation and trial. That is when it is intended to be used.
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Jakethesnake] #4073799
01/30/24 04:23 PM
01/30/24 04:23 PM
HSV AL
jmudler Offline
Freak of Nature
jmudler  Offline
Freak of Nature
HSV AL
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
[ It seemed like half of Grissom was no good when I attended about 22yrs ago
Hasnt changed much. My 22 year old decided to be home schooled his Junior year. My 16 yr old last month asked to be homeschooled too. He said, I love the Lord, dont smoke, drink or care about banging everything that moves. I just dont fit in. He was MVP of defense and good looking kid, just struggles with living for God vs man.

Last edited by jmudler; 01/30/24 04:23 PM.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4073889
01/30/24 07:36 PM
01/30/24 07:36 PM
Al
B
Broadhead26 Offline
8 point
Broadhead26  Offline
8 point
B
Al
For what it’s worth, I was in your sons shoes when I was in my teens. Didn’t have a care in the world, number 238 out of 264 academically, and played the “woe is me” card.
Somehow enlisted when I was 17, it all got turned around. Now I’d guess I’m in the top 2% of my graduating class as far as success.

Opposite side of the spectrum is my sister. My dad was hard on her but it was always hollow threats. She has yet to finish even her GED, works at a chicken restaurant and is on her second baby daddy.

You gotta hit rock bottom before you can go up. Not just true for addiction, but also life in general

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4074254
01/31/24 11:51 AM
01/31/24 11:51 AM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline OP
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline OP
14 point
L
Chelsea
He needs a GED or diploma to be a fireman. I was giving him some grief the other day about his lack of gratitude for getting a reckless driving dismissed, with no guilty plea I might add. The costs for that were $125 to consult with the lawyer, $1,250 for municipal court, which is really revenue court. $600 for a non refundable appeal bond to go to circuit court, and $7,500 for circuit court appeal. Not counting time off and running all around.

I said, how would it look walking into a firefighter job with a reckless conviction? Do you think they would even let you drive the vehicles? He says, oh you don't want to be a driver, they get paid less. I was like hey genius, you have to go to firefighter and EMT school, they will send you, don't you think that you will have to take classes, and pass tests in order to get the certification? If you do that as well as school guess what you are going to be? The DRIVER!

I guess he thinks because he can do the physical so well, he can just do that and get paid......

He has no clue. Just none.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075403
02/01/24 10:16 PM
02/01/24 10:16 PM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline OP
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline OP
14 point
L
Chelsea
Well he is really mad now because I cut his phone off. I guess he can leave when he turns 18 according to Jawbone. I told him he was welcome to leave when he graduated, and if he did I would be changing the lock code on the door, because coming and going as you please is for people who live here.

His basic beef is I don't read his mind. Its my job to figure out whats wrong with him without him communicating. and he is not going to take any meds.

He is completely selfish. He has no idea what I have sacrificed for him. It pisses me off, and its going to be tough to see him walk out and he probably will.

He will probably go live with his mom, until her hubs gets tired of his mess too. I doubt it will take long.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075419
02/01/24 10:44 PM
02/01/24 10:44 PM
Ourtown, AL
BCLC Offline
Old Mossy Horns
BCLC  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ourtown, AL
Does your son attend church and have a relationship with Jesus Christ?

Ever since you posted this, you and your son have really been on my heart. I hope you don’t mind but I added you to my prayer list.

We’re not dead. We just smell that way. Dayum. - AC870

Yessir! I’m always gonna shoot what makes me happy and I want everyone else to do the same! If you shoot one be proud of it and don’t worry what anyone else thinks. - SJ22
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075443
02/01/24 11:24 PM
02/01/24 11:24 PM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline OP
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline OP
14 point
L
Chelsea
He is a believer. As am I. I don't go like I should. He was going with his GF but doesn't seem to do that anymore. Sometimes I get frustrated with going, because I feel like I'm getting "church lite" . You know, a sales pitch for something I already have.

There's a lot to it. His mom's middle son from her first marriage was grooming my son when he was a toddler. He ended up saying something and I got it handled before anything really serious happened. My son was not believed by his mother, and I knew as whacked as the judges were, the only way they would do anything is if my son remembered it, and he didn't. So I stayed married to her to keep my children safe, because their mom never would have.

I spent 8 years with a woman I hated with a passion for them, until she finally left. As in we were out of town and she left and the kids and I come back and she's gone. I got custody and she has given up visitation time, without discussion of course. That's been going on for several years.

He's basically wiped his butt with my house and my truck. No gratitude. I ask him to make Cs or better and he has not done it every 9 weeks of high school.

The counselor I was seeing while I was with his mom told me to go get a massage periodically, just so I could have a person touch me. Because I wasn't having any physical contact with my wife after the grooming issue. Most of my 40's were lifeless.

So it's very aggravating for me when he acts like I'm not doing enough, when thru all this, I don't even get a bday card or something for Xmas even. Write me a note. Tell me you appreciate me, something. I never miss his. The $ I spent to get custody to keep them safe, I'm still paying off my dad on. You know? I have sacrificed greatly, and to just basically get an FU doesn't set well.

See sometimes you never really know what someone's story is.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075459
02/02/24 01:02 AM
02/02/24 01:02 AM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Pretty cool program up here. My wife' cousin is in charge of Lincoln Co. TN vocational programs in the high school. She was telling me that they are about to start program for kids to get their EMT certification while in high school. They built a little room in a bigger room that is the same dimension as an ambulance with a bed and all. Apparently, there are a lot of kids wanting to get in the program.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075551
02/02/24 09:31 AM
02/02/24 09:31 AM
Alabama
B
bama_earl Offline
8 point
bama_earl  Offline
8 point
B
Alabama
Thanks for putting this out there Lockjaw, sometimes its difficult to be open and honest about what's going on in our personal lifes. Much respect to you for stepping up as a father in a tough situation. We all pray your son is just in a difficult stage and will eventually grow up and live a productive life.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075554
02/02/24 09:44 AM
02/02/24 09:44 AM
Northwest Bama
R
Ridge Life Offline
14 point
Ridge Life  Offline
14 point
R
Northwest Bama
Praying for yall Lockjaw. I grew up in a similar mindset as your son, with a drug problem. I’m sure I had grandparents praying for me but it took some life changes events, near death, to change me.(God)

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075556
02/02/24 09:47 AM
02/02/24 09:47 AM
B
BPI Offline
14 point
BPI  Offline
14 point
B
Being a good husband and father is probably one of the most thankless jobs in the world. That said, don't give up on your son. He will get it one day. Till then, speak life into him if at all possible.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075610
02/02/24 11:22 AM
02/02/24 11:22 AM
Chelsea
L
Lockjaw Offline OP
14 point
Lockjaw  Offline OP
14 point
L
Chelsea
I did too. My home life was tough, and I was ill prepared to walk out into the real world. My dad was abusive at times, and I drank to self soothe and got in quite a bit of trouble before I turned my life around. I have been very open and candid about that with both my sons, and have done the best I could to talk to them about the disasters of making a and choice.

Marrying their mom was the worst decision I have made. I got two sons Ioce out of it, but the financial and emotional hardships I have suffered have taxed me. On top of her walking out, when I had never even cussed her no less, she hasn't owned it and blamed me instead. She's dropped 6 visitatuon days a month with out so much as asking if if was ok.

I have been on my own basically as far as raising them. No back up. If mom is sick she doesn't pick up, if I'm sick, I'm stuck.

Choices matter. I want more for mine. I don't want them to be like me. And I for sure don't want future grandkids around the groomer or their mom, because she won't watch. It's stuff that keeps me up at night.

Re: Troubled child? [Re: Lockjaw] #4075628
02/02/24 12:13 PM
02/02/24 12:13 PM
Northwest Bama
R
Ridge Life Offline
14 point
Ridge Life  Offline
14 point
R
Northwest Bama
Pray about it a lot. Seems you are doing a whole lot more than a lot of parents and grandparents around the world. At least at the end of the day when you know you have done just about all you can do that’s all that matters. I’m sure you know it can hurt your health more than anything. Be strong frin, God will help if you seek it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.