Originally Posted by CNC
There’s a certain psychological aspect to it that I don’t know if I can fully explain…….Not attaching a hot pink tag to an antler is an obvious in your face very noticeable thing for someone to not do……Its not the out of sight out of mind task of checking one in to game check that is an after thought to many. If we’re supposed to “tag” them then it sticks out like a sore thumb when one hasn’t been……whether at camp, in the truck, or on social media.

Also, monitoring social media for violations could be made very simple. If you had a hot pink tag then I’d imagine it would be pretty easy for AI to sort through buck pictures like facial recognition and spot the ones not tagged for further investigation.

Another aspect of it is that tags issued from the DCNR would be a whole lot harder to fake than someone printing out multiple copies of licenses on their home printer and having 48 hrs to call it in. Write it down, take it home, get a new license and never call it in……The system is too simple to beat......Its the honor system basically right now and even preachers and front row church go'ers will fudge it for an extra buck grin

Very well explained CNC. The 48hrs to formally report it is the problem. Here's an example of how easy it would be. Shoot buck, fill out the paper harvest record. Leave land, drive back to camp. If pulled over, show the paper record to the GW and and tell him that I did not have good cell service and I will officially check it within the required 48 hr timeframe. If I'm not pulled over, I process my own deer so within an hour, that deer is quartered up, iced down and in a cooler in the barn and effectively just disappeared. If I did not get pulled over on the way back to camp, I simply toss the filled out, paper copy in the firepit, and never record. If I did get pulled over and checked, I know the GW will be potentially looking for it so I log in and record it on Chuckie Check. I can guarantee you that it is happening just like that, all over the state.

With a license issued formal tag system, the tag is required to be defaced and attached to the deer prior to moving it. Once it is done, it is done and cannot be used again. Much better, much more effective system. Easier to enforce for the GWs, much harder to circumvent/cheat. Better for keeping honest people honest.

Last edited by abolt300; 01/26/24 03:44 PM.