I had the opportunity to climb a tree this year in Illinois and Kentucky. There is no way we will ever have the mature deer these states have under the current seasons we have now. I have not killed a deer in Alabama this year because I usually only kill one a year-my choice-and I killed him in another state this year. I personally like the breaks in the season the other states have as it gives me a chance to recharge my batteries and rest a bit before going at them again. If you have never sat in a tree in Illinois, you have no clue as to how big a deer can grow.

The buck numbers in other states are unreal when they can survive for several seasons. The rifle restrictions and the 1 buck tag limit saves many a young deer. I was at a processor this year in Kentucky and saw several folks bring in small bucks that I would have never even considered shooting. The Good Lord has Blessed me in allowing me the opportunity to own land and control it the way I want to. I am very strict on what will be shot there and when it will be shot. I make my own rules there on these tracts and have no control when the critters roam off me onto someone else. I am not into a numbers game of saying I killed three bucks this year. To me if I have to brag on killing 3 bucks a year, there are other issues I would need to address.

Just my $0.02

I can't stand a thief.