Originally Posted by Boathand
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Originally Posted by Mbrock
This has nothing to do with deer breeders. You’re talking two different things N2turkeys. I’m talking wild deer.

But while it was brought up, I’ve seen exactly what can be produced in enclosures of nothing but native deer, given birthdays and nutrition. It’s dang unbelievable. AL is limited by less fertile soils and lack of deer age structure, not genetics. All you can influence in the wild is habitat quality and age. Don’t know why ppl get so hung up on genetics. A pen full of superior genetic freaks is of ZERO interest to me. To each their own. Even in the wild in areas with superb habitat the 200” freaks are still not common.

It’s not two different things, because it’s both dealing with genetics. You can’t fight genetics. The MSU study proves that. Although, Mendel had already proven that years ago. Nutrition can cause increases is body and antler size, but it doesn’t turn a deer from Mobile County into a mid West deer if they don’t have the genetics for it.

Your parents could have fed you only the most nutritional foods your whole life, but you were never destined to grow into a 7 footer and play in the NBA.

You need to listen to MSU’s podcasts about the intensive genetic management tests that were conducted in Texas (UT Kingsville?) and you’ll forget all about genetics and cull bucks when you think about managing deer.

Lol. I’ve listened to their podcasts. You can’t get around genetics, as bad as you may want to.

83% of all statistics are made up.