This didn't happen to me, but about 30 years ago on the Freedom Hills WMA a young man was putting a lock-on in a dead tree on a food plot. I had hunted this plot several times with my bow and climbing stand on the pines surrounding the plot. I know folks knew I was killing deer there because my truck was there several days a week and they wanted in on the action. It had rained that morning and was still a messy drizzle falling when I arrived to find a truck parked where I usually parked to hunt the plot. I slowly rolled past the parked truck and I saw a couple of young men running towards their parked truck. I stopped my truck and could see one of the men had a handkerchief wrapped around his right hand. They were in a mad dash to take the man to the hospital because one of his screw-in steps had come out of the dead tree as he was trying to hang the lock-on stand. When he fell his finger was caught on the stand and it tore his finger from his hand. They had put his finger in another handkerchief and were taking him to the hospital. I saw his hand as they rewrapped the rag around his hand and there was simply nothing there. I never heard from the outcome but I know his finger is missing from his hand today.

Dont ever try to climb a dead tree folks.

I can't stand a thief.