Went to help a lady on her first deer Saturday about midday that had been shot early that morning. We took the track and the deer went up the side of a mountain leaving very little blood but what blood was there looked fairly dark. We made it to the top of the mountain (about 550 yds from shot site) and got to seeing more blood. At this point we were at a property line and they were calling to get permission. The guy went back down and got on the UTV and drove around to knock on the door. We were granted permission so I told him just to stay there since we were headed that way.

We continued the track about another 200 yds to where Scout started working slow and looking ahead with head in the air. I felt the buck was laying close but never laid eyes on him. Another 50 yds further and more blood but this is wet and fresh. We continued ahead and worked out into a front yard where he had parked to the UTV. Unfortunately, he was behind the house looking in the woods and the deer run through the front yard. At this point the buck crossed the road onto another property. The guy was riding around out in the field and she stopped him to ask if we could track onto his property. We were told NOPE, I don't allow anyone on my property. At this point (1300 yds into the track we had to call it).

I was afraid the buck was gut/liver shot and we had pushed it too soon. I was sure it was going to lay up and die but they got pictures of him last night. Shot was forward of shoulder.

I'm still not sure what I was seeing that looked like dark blood, guess just they way it was on darker leaves.