Quote:
Originally posted by Mag10:
I remember when Tennessee had their first Turkey season after restocking, mostly from Missouri and for many years gobblers were aplenty and a surge of nimrods to match the turkey growth as well.

Depending on the area you hunt in Tennessee there are plenty of Vol gobblers left,but I think the turkey hunting fad has dropped somewhat and the gobblers will regenerate ,same in Alabama.When you have a good year in a hunting club this year,you'll pay for it next year.You can kill them faster than they can regenerate,that's definite!

I remember back in the early sixties in Bankhead forest,home of the original wild turkey,where they never went extinct,but did in some states, there were plenty of hunters,but there were fewer hunters in Bankhead this past year and only 23 gobblers were checked in on 96,000 prime acres.I killed a few of those 23 gobblers and know the where-bouts of several more for next year.The gobblers are still there in Bankhead Forest but don't gobble much and are weary and smart!I hope turkey hunters remain in decline (LOL) and if gobblers are hunted legally they will always be here,just like the good lord intended.
goodpost

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters. —Archibald Rutledge—