</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Pizza Oven/Griddle
by Buckkiller77. 06/13/24 09:52 AM
CUSTOM 1095 KNIFE FOR SALE
by Skullworks. 06/13/24 08:56 AM
Looking to trade for S&W 500 Performance Center
by Narrow Gap. 06/12/24 09:14 PM
Foodsaver and miscellaneous glue
by James. 06/12/24 07:30 PM
3rd gen Tacoma bed cover
by rkt. 06/12/24 09:16 AM
Serious Deer Talk
New Tracking Rules
by Rainbowstew. 06/12/24 12:47 PM
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 06/10/24 09:45 AM
Feeders and Hogs
by PYhunter. 06/09/24 10:27 AM
Blood Trailing Breeds
by 2 ducks. 06/08/24 07:48 PM
Permission to retrieve deer
by Coosa1. 06/08/24 08:20 AM
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Diamond Mountain Club
by Stoney. 06/09/24 08:30 PM
Hunting Club Jefferson/Tuscaloosa Line
by Austin1. 06/07/24 09:08 PM
Wayne county tn leases
by brushwhacker. 06/05/24 06:13 PM
Looking for a couple guys
by MoeBuck. 05/25/24 06:25 PM
Tunnel Springs 1 more member
by extreme heights hunter. 05/23/24 10:17 AM
Who's Online Now
119 registered members (CNC, kodiak06, SC53, WPZJR, hallb, GomerPyle, Brownitsdown, bfoote, CarbonClimber1, outdoorguy88, clayk, doublefistful, NVM1031, k bush, donia, TideWJO, BhamFred, abamadude, Fishduck, hunter84, Jstocks, buck_buster, Gobble4me757, Shaneomac2, timberman56, CrappieMan, sumpter_al, 300gr, Nightwatchman, Paint Rock 00, Parker243, Woodsy, BPI, foldemup, seminole1, Lonster, Mansfield, USeeMSpurs, Dead down wind, JDW25, Fattyfireplug, slanddeerhunter, 7PTSPREAD, Cahabariverrat, ts1979flh, Floorman1, chill, sawdust, HippieKiller, stl32, hawndog, CeeHawk37, Morgan, Backwards cowboy, hamma, DMC, Jweeks, bald347, Morris, Turkey, RebFormanUDA, odocoileus, jwyatt, crenshawco, gcr0003, Turberville, Bulls eye, Atoler, Stoney, Shotts, effinacotton, Epalm88, Cactus_buck, mathews prostaff, Jwbfx4, slippinlipjr, Keysbowman, kaferhaus, EYESPY, trlrdrdave, thayerp81, goodman_hunter, BC_Reb, !shiloh!, MarksOutdoors, Frankie, JohnnyLoco, Dragfan66, DGAMBLER, Justice, 3Gs, Tall Dog, FreeStateHunter, Showout, scrubbuck, joe sixpack, woodduck, twaldrop4, mopar, BigUncleLeroy, BayedUp, Joe4majors, 17 invisible), 400 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3968915
08/30/23 03:24 PM
08/30/23 03:24 PM
Florence, Al
A
AlabamaSwamper Offline
10 point
AlabamaSwamper  Offline
10 point
A
Florence, Al
Killing every deer you see to survive is a wee bit different than someone shooting a 4 pt or two every year.

BTR Scorer in NW Alabama

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: hallb] #3968987
08/30/23 05:48 PM
08/30/23 05:48 PM
Northwest Alabama
SEWoodsWhitetail Offline OP
4 point
SEWoodsWhitetail  Offline OP
4 point
Northwest Alabama
It’s not that I have a problem directly with the cell cams or corn because I don’t. Really it just frustrates me when people are shooting the young stud bucks whether it’s over a corn/cell cam combo or not. I just think it’s happening a whole lot more with the onslaught of baiting and cell cams.

I genuinely would not lose any sleep or be frustrated over a neighbor shooting a mature buck; even with having used a cell cam or corn. The frustration comes from those deer that have the most potential getting shot at 2-3 years old.

Originally Posted by hallb
Why does everyone have to have the same goals as you? I don’t get that. Grow out of shooting young bucks? Some people just go hunt and shoot what they want to for whatever reason they want. Why should your goals be forced on others? I personally use corn and cell cams and choose not to shoot young bucks. Didn’t shoot a buck last season. You’re also lumping all hunters that use corn and cell cams into the same category of hunters.

Again, I don't have a direct issue with cell cams or corn or the people that use them, rather it's with people continually shooting the stud young bucks and never progressing. It's not about forcing my goals on others; it's about being a good steward of the resource. For the same reason nobody on here wants someone shooting 15 gobblers a year or 25 bucks a year, I don't want people shooting all the stud young bucks year after year in perpetuity because said things are bad stewardship of the resource we all share whether it's on your own property said things occur on or not. And it's not even about trophy hunting/big racks as some young deer have just that. It's about progressing to the challenge of killing a mature buck and having a better age structure, among other things, on the landscape that results in healthier herds. Big racks are icing on the cake of older age class management.

It's not always about what you want to do; sometimes it has to be about what you should do. As one person mentioned, the early English settlers WANTED to shoot all the Bison, but at some point, it should've become about what they SHOULD'VE done rather than what they wanted to do. Many loggers and timber buyers WANT to cut through every single perennial creek in AL. It's their timber/their land what does it matter to you?! Same concept here as said practice effects all of those around you therefore you should begin to consider what is good for the resource in addition to what you want.

I know this makes people mad, but I'm not one to filter my thoughts on a matter for the sake of not hurting feelings.

In a world of food plotters, be a habitat manager.
https://woodsandwhitetail.com/
Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969038
08/30/23 07:03 PM
08/30/23 07:03 PM
Michigan
S
Sasquatch Lives Offline
10 point
Sasquatch Lives  Offline
10 point
S
Michigan
Deer hunting has become a pitiful sight, corn dumpers are the norm, very few can read deer sign worth a shucks, much less be able to track a blood trail. High fence losers with no skills thumping their chests over the penned up buck they shot, and dudes paying big $ to outfitters to scout, hang their stand for em and tell them which deer to shoot.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969052
08/30/23 07:29 PM
08/30/23 07:29 PM
Crenshaw
C
CrappieMan Online content
8 point
CrappieMan  Online Content
8 point
C
Crenshaw
Originally Posted by SEWoodsWhitetail
It’s not that I have a problem directly with the cell cams or corn because I don’t. Really it just frustrates me when people are shooting the young stud bucks whether it’s over a corn/cell cam combo or not. I just think it’s happening a whole lot more with the onslaught of baiting and cell cams.

I genuinely would not lose any sleep or be frustrated over a neighbor shooting a mature buck; even with having used a cell cam or corn. The frustration comes from those deer that have the most potential getting shot at 2-3 years old.

Why does everyone have to have the same goals as you? I don’t get that. Grow out of shooting young bucks? Some people just go hunt and shoot what they want to for whatever reason they want. Why should your goals be forced on others? I personally use corn and cell cams and choose not to shoot young bucks. Didn’t shoot a buck last season. You’re also lumping all hunters that use corn and cell cams into the same category of hunters.

Again, I don't have a direct issue with cell cams or corn or the people that use them, rather it's with people continually shooting the stud young bucks and never progressing. It's not about forcing my goals on others; it's about being a good steward of the resource. For the same reason nobody on here wants someone shooting 15 gobblers a year or 25 bucks a year, I don't want people shooting all the stud young bucks year after year in perpetuity because said things are bad stewardship of the resource we all share whether it's on your own property said things occur on or not. And it's not even about trophy hunting/big racks as some young deer have just that. It's about progressing to the challenge of killing a mature buck and having a better age structure, among other things, on the landscape that results in healthier herds. Big racks are icing on the cake of older age class management.

It's not always about what you want to do; sometimes it has to be about what you should do. As one person mentioned, the early English settlers WANTED to shoot all the Bison, but at some point, it should've become about what they SHOULD'VE done rather than what they wanted to do. Many loggers and timber buyers WANT to cut through every single perennial creek in AL. It's their timber/their land what does it matter to you?! Same concept here as said practice effects all of those around you therefore you should begin to consider what is good for the resource in addition to what you want.

I know this makes people mad, but I'm not one to filter my thoughts on a matter for the sake of not hurting feelings.

A dead 2 yr old is the same as a dead 5 yr old. DEAD! It's not the same as killingb15 turkeys, it's 1 deer. I want my bunch to progress evertime rhe kill the next deer but that has nothing to-do with anybody else. There's a little to be said about minding your own bussiness!

Last edited by Triple J; 08/30/23 07:32 PM.
Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969069
08/30/23 07:52 PM
08/30/23 07:52 PM
Central Al
twaldrop4 Online content
10 point
twaldrop4  Online Content
10 point
Central Al
This is what’s wrong with deer hunting. It’s gotta be my way or you’re doing it wrong. I personally would prefer to shoot older age class deer. But I could care less what anyone else shot. Everybody has different goals. Being a good steward of the land has zero to do with age class. I can kill 1 spike a year for the rest of my life and still be a good steward. Being a bad steward is shooting every deer you see in my opinion.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969084
08/30/23 08:01 PM
08/30/23 08:01 PM
SC
W
Wambaw Offline
spike
Wambaw  Offline
spike
W
SC
Deer hunters are worse than 13 year old girls. It's always some drama. Someone above said it above, try minding your own business. I have deer hunted my whole life and had a real good time. There is nothing like it. But the last 10 years or so has seen an influx of "know it all deer managers" that try to shame people into not shooting bucks because they are _ fill in the blank as to reason why.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969097
08/30/23 08:14 PM
08/30/23 08:14 PM
Earth
TDog93 Offline
Booner
TDog93  Offline
Booner
Earth
^^^

I got my own place and it more enjoyable - lot less drama

I would lov to be able to kill big deer but u got to hav em first - i hav lost several solid deer on camera - but not huge deal - if it like that every year or it got to where i never had good deer - i can do something else - lot of the fun would b gone. W that said - i will likely never hav many 130 inch deer. My good deer r lot diff than some of the studs that show up on this site

I said leave it bettr than u found it earlier because that a good thing - but really not about the heart of what being talked about here - i said it cause thats a good thing to remember - what everybody does and how they do it is on them and there biz

Hunt the wind - leave it better than you found it - love your neighbor as you love your self
We need prayer for our country now more than ever
Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: Sasquatch Lives] #3969110
08/30/23 08:30 PM
08/30/23 08:30 PM
Northwest Alabama
4 point
4 point
Northwest Alabama
Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives
Deer hunting has become a pitiful sight, corn dumpers are the norm, very few can read deer sign worth a shucks, much less be able to track a blood trail. High fence losers with no skills thumping their chests over the penned up buck they shot, and dudes paying big $ to outfitters to scout, hang their stand for em and tell them which deer to shoot.

An environment of apathy is what breeds such a negative response to a higher standard of practice.

"Everybody wants to kill big bucks, but nobody wants to do what it takes to kill big bucks"

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969122
08/30/23 08:44 PM
08/30/23 08:44 PM
Crenshaw
C
8 point
8 point
C
Crenshaw

An environment of apathy is what breeds such a negative response to a higher standard of practice.

"Everybody wants to kill big bucks, but nobody wants to do what it takes to kill big bucks"

Who told you everybody wants to kill big bucks? I mount a pile of deer every year and most are 120 inch or less. All of them were happy or they wouldn't have mounted them. Maybe you want everybody to pass up deer so you can kill them yourself later!

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: CrappieMan] #3969136
08/30/23 08:57 PM
08/30/23 08:57 PM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted by Triple J

Who told you everybody wants to kill big bucks? I mount a pile of deer every year and most are 120 inch or less. All of them were happy or they wouldn't have mounted them. Maybe you want everybody to pass up deer so you can kill them yourself later!

That’s the silliest argument I’ve ever heard Triple J. Did they let a 150” deer walk and chose to shoot the smaller 120”?

If not, then they shot the 120” deer because they felt like it was their best chance to shoot a buck they consider big enough to mount. All he is saying is, Alabama can have bigger bucks over all if people stop killing young 120” deer. Everyone who has ever learned anything about deer management would agree with that.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: CrappieMan] #3969137
08/30/23 08:59 PM
08/30/23 08:59 PM
Northwest Alabama
4 point
4 point
Northwest Alabama

I think it’s pretty widely recognized that’s most people’s end goal… Maybe you want everybody to be happy killing the babies so there will be more deer to mount!

All these accusations that I just want people to do it my way followed up by the same people saying I should just do it their way and not care about anything nor have a desire to strive for anything greater than mediocrity.

A post that originated in a statement of opinion on a concern of the over harvest of young bucks turns into people getting mad that I think hunters should progess in knowledge and practice beyond the norm. A concept that should apply to every facet of life

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969139
08/30/23 09:02 PM
08/30/23 09:02 PM
Dekalb
J
Jdkprp70 Offline
10 point
Jdkprp70  Offline
10 point
J
Dekalb
True words SE, it doesn't matter if people agree with you. As long as you speak the truth, your good with me!

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: Pwyse] #3969147
08/30/23 09:10 PM
08/30/23 09:10 PM
Crenshaw
C
8 point
8 point
C
Crenshaw
Originally Posted by Pwyse

That’s the silliest argument I’ve ever heard Triple J. Did they let a 150” deer walk and chose to shoot the smaller 120”?

If not, then they shot the 120” deer because they felt like it was their best chance to shoot a buck they consider big enough to mount. All he is saying is, Alabama can have bigger bucks over all if people stop killing young 120” deer. Everyone who has ever learned anything about deer management would agree with that.

I never mentioned anything about passing up a 150 inch deer. 90 percent of all alabama deer won't see 150 no matter the age.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969153
08/30/23 09:19 PM
08/30/23 09:19 PM
Crenshaw
C
8 point
8 point
C
Crenshaw
If the state would cancel deer season for 3 yrs it would all be fixed.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969159
08/30/23 09:31 PM
08/30/23 09:31 PM
Satsuma
kodiak06 Online content
Booner
kodiak06  Online Content
Booner
Satsuma

Again, I don't have a direct issue with cell cams or corn or the people that use them, rather it's with people continually shooting the stud young bucks and never progressing. It's not about forcing my goals on others; it's about being a good steward of the resource.

An individual shooting ANY deer they choose doesn't make them a bad steward of resources LMAO. Your OPINION of what someone shoots doesn't mean squat unless it's on your personal property. That young stud eats as good as any young forky lol. You ain't been hungry enough

Last edited by kodiak06; 08/30/23 09:32 PM.
Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969168
08/30/23 09:44 PM
08/30/23 09:44 PM
North AL
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
North AL

Keep on beating that 🐎

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: Jdkprp70] #3969174
08/30/23 09:54 PM
08/30/23 09:54 PM
Northwest Alabama
4 point
4 point
Northwest Alabama
Originally Posted by Jdkprp70
True words SE, it doesn't matter if people agree with you. As long as you speak the truth, your good with me!

Appreciate it! Some people are satisfied with the same ole same ole, and I’m unapologetically not one of those.

To kinda play on a saying from Saban, you’re either working towards making the deer herd better, or you’re working towards making the deer herd worse. There’s no staying the same.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969193
08/30/23 10:21 PM
08/30/23 10:21 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Online content
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Online Content
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County

Appreciate it! Some people are satisfied with the same ole same ole, and I’m unapologetically not one of those.

To kinda play on a saying from Saban, you’re either working towards making the deer herd better, or you’re working towards making the deer herd worse. There’s no staying the same.

Lol who defines what is better . There are more than one way to manage deer herds

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: Frankie] #3969200
08/30/23 10:29 PM
08/30/23 10:29 PM
Northwest Alabama
4 point
4 point
Northwest Alabama
Originally Posted by Frankie

Lol who defines what is better . There are more than one way to manage deer herds

Scientific fact. More balanced sex ratios and age structures are better for hunters and herds.

Re: How Y'all Feel About...? [Re: SEWoodsWhitetail] #3969201
08/30/23 10:32 PM
08/30/23 10:32 PM
Gurley, Alabama
S
Standbanger Offline
12 point
Standbanger  Offline
12 point
S
Gurley, Alabama
Very little deer hunting anymore. Let it get dark and tracking goes out the window. I advocate shooting what you want with a mind towards shoot a young buck over a doe(she might be a twin fawn dropper).

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.