Originally Posted by Pwyse

So best I could tell you would need about 9% of the turkey hunters to participate to get to 100,000 coons right? I guess that would be doable. I wouldn’t think you would get much more participation than that. I couldn’t find any info on the estimated Coon poplulation in Alabama. Any idea?

The info I found said 72,000 turkey hunters though that seems like a lot. You would need 5,000 hunters to participate to equal 100,000 coons and however many possums that got you for free.

As far as the total coon population……I think it would be tough to put a real number on that…..If you wanted something to measure to determine if the incentive was successful then monitoring any change in the avg nesting success rate over the next 5 or so years may be the easiest way.

From the things I’ve read I believe avg nesting success rates are around 25% give or take……of course fluctuating from year to year…….with coons typically ranking #1 for nest predation. If you increased that to an average of 30%........how much would that impact the turkey population over the next 5-10 years??

Last edited by CNC; 06/04/23 07:51 PM.

We dont rent pigs