Personally, I think you UNDERreacted.

We can be nice and welcoming while at the same time anticipating a potential threat.

I work the sound booth at my church. From the booth I have pretty much a bird's eye view of the entire congregation. Keep my pistol on me every sunday morning. Feel like I am the most prepared one- (other than the security team stationed outside- which is basically just my father in law)- to get a shot off at any sort of attacker. There was a run of about 6 months where I was particularly leery of the disgruntled ex husband of a woman in my wife's bible study....he pulled up in the parking lot a couple of mornings after their initial separation but never actually entered the building.

During this time-when I was particularly on edge, on one sunday morning, we had an unrelated incident wherein an older gentleman struggling with some dementia stood up in the middle of the service and yelled really loudly. This individual was to my hard right and in the seats directly adjacent to the wall of the sound booth almost below me. I couldn't actually see him but heard him holler out in a time when we are supposed to be quiet and listening to the sermon.

The next thing I knew, I was standing, weapon un-holstered and thumb on the safety looking for the source of the loud hollering. I didn't actually point the weapon at any one but had it out and ready.

After the individual was calmed down and taken out of the sanctuary,I realized that I was still late to the party. Had it been someone meaning to do us harm, he would have gotten a few of us before I could have even had the time to get stood up and get a shot off.

There is never a level of prepared that you can be that is "Too Prepared". It can happen in a flash. The bad guys have all the time in the world to prepare to do you and your flock harm. You have to win the battle every single time and that starts with being prepared even before your spidey senses start tingling.