Originally Posted by ShootemupTex
I called my county commissioner and got the scoop.

The mining co wanted Shelby County to improve a low spot in the road that they were concerned would fail with their heavy trucks.The price tag was about 700k and the county didn't want to pay up and in their research found out that they didn't have any responsibility for the road past the pavement. That lead to private hunt club owner over there asking if that meant he could put up a gate. He apparently caught a poacher red handed this season and was fed up. The county said they couldn't stop him. So the only party that can really give him hell about is the mining company now.

I was told by the biologist the state is considering working on another access point. I think the only person that can change this is the mining company. But I don't see why they would be interested in pissing off their neighbor and helping public land hunters that do nothing for them.

Update: So once the gravel basically ends the land on both rides is owned by two seperate LLC's both linked to the same guy. I won't post his personal name. You can find it if you want. He is a real estate guy and appears to be within his rights. You can't stop progresss and I'd bet Brantleyville will all be posh neighborhoods in 15 years either way. Biologist says they are working on a new access point from HWY 10 near the WMA check in station for next season.

That's about what I heard from my buddy. I'll add, he also said the word is the mining company is about done on that side and are moving operations. If that's true, they will not need the access from 260 and wouldn't have a reason to put up a fight to keep 260 open. Take it for what's its worth.