Originally Posted by hoggin
Be kinda ok with one of my kids quitting school. One of the twins (17 and a Jr at the IB high school with consistent A’s in all advanced classes) is becoming pretty adamant that he’s done with high school.
He’s probably already a top tier diesel mechanic that I’d put against anyone anywhere in his ability to diagnose properly and repair anything
He’s about as good a body man as anyone I’ve had working here.
In fact he’s been working at a world known custom shop after school just to see what he can learn about stuff we don’t do much of.
He’s capable of custom programming and operating cnc and 3D printing
He competes on a national level designing, building, programming and operating advanced robotics

He could probably make $100k+ next year (and just go up from there) conservatively working on commission here alongside everyone else.

He wants to skip his senior year, get a GED and go to a couple trade classes (welding and hydraulics not sure why, he’s pretty competent at both) while he works.

He’s grown up in a shop and never wanted to be anywhere else unless it was hunting, fishing or at a car show.

Honestly, I’m against it but having a hard time really convincing myself he’s wrong. I don’t think I’ll ever convince him to go to college as he’s become dead set against that idea lately, says he just bored with the whole school idea and knows it probably not gonna increase his value significantly so “why spend the time around a bunch of liberals in a bigger school doing useless stuff”.

I think he’s probably not wrong, I’m just hung on the idea he should finish high school I guess

Sounds like a smart capable mature young man! I think he is smart and I wish him and you the best with his decision! 3 of my dear friends do not have a college education and make millions every year. Work ethic and street smarts go a long way!!

Hunting brings out the worst in people.