Normally I just read but i'm gonna go out on a limb here and post. Deer hunting in alabama is a business. For the most part the people who are in charge of managing this business, set things up so that the business of deer hunting is increasing in popularity. Managing the state for the growth of larger antlered deer is part of the business model. Deer hunting is a major economy boost for the state and as long as strides are being made to grow bigger deer, alot of dollars will flow in from out of state hunters who may not get the same opportunities at home. The reason for the drop in hunting license sales in alabama is possibly that the business model and popularity of deer hunting in general have made the sport more for the people who can afford the ever rising lease prices, which is becoming a smaller group every year. Unless you own your own place or have close access to public land, deer hunting is quickly becoming out of reach for common folks. Most of the people who influence policy could give less of a damn if you kill fourty squirrels and sixty coons cause squirrel and coon hunting doesn't bring in the cash. But deer are regulated closely because of their value to the state. Many individuals are fine with the way the buck limit is set up because it parallels their mangagement practice/qdm mindset. Some others dislike it because it infringes on their right to hunt as they please. I can see both sides but the people who make decisions on who kills what when will continue to do with the deer herd what will make the state the most dollars, regardless of what any of us think.