Originally Posted By: wmd
Originally Posted By: Bucktrot
9er, you say the three buck limit has divided up Alabama's hunters. Well, the group of killers you've aligned yourself with is a dying breed. You hate it but conservation, game mgmt, consideration, restraint, discipline, preservation, diversified and broad-based hunting enjoyment (taking pride in the entire aspect of game mgmt and hunting), etc... is gaining momentum.

The hunter who brags that he killed 8-10 bucks last year is now looked upon as an greedy idiot and the hunter who states that he passed up several immature bucks and killed one or two good mature bucks is looked upon with respect. And oh, that same man let his young son shoot a 2.5 yr old 8 pt and celebrated it! But he's slowly starting to teach his young son about conservation and trigger restraint and deer mgmt! And about habitat enhancement and about farming and soil and what he can do individually to make things better for the next generation!

Really?? Looked on with respect? By whom? Other QDM elitists?

I am glad that I got my start killing deer in an era where the purpose during deer season was to kill deer and not admire my habitat improvements, when my dad did not have to wonder if folks were going to question his deer hunting ethics if he "let" me shoot a 2.5 year old 8 point.

Bucktrot I certainly respect your views,and I do have some of the same beliefs as you,this is not directed toward your views on QDM but what I percieve to be your views of the old timers. Where we differ is I certainly dont think all the hunters who killed 8 or 10 bucks a year in the past were idiots. My dad and grandfather would fit in that categorey in the past. Between those two men lies more knowledge about hunting than your average woodsmen. They were and still are DEER HUNTERS,out to kill the biggest buck they could. Killing big bucks is what deer hunting was about then and now.The difference is back then they told you they were after big bucks,now its "im enhancing habitat" with "to kill big bucks" left out.And yes we enhance habitat and practice trigger control. Times have changed and so have hunters,but the ones who were good enough to kill alot of good bucks were not idiots. If you know some old timers it might pay to spend a little time with them,you csn learn alot from them as I have and I continue to learn more every year.

The world needs more people holding deer in pictures,and less people holding cameras in front of mirrors.