I've hunted next to many an old graveyard.

There was an old African American graveyard (in Bullock County - most if not all of the concrete headstones were homemade) that I would hunt next to periodically. There were absolutely no roads that were close and the one old dirt/clay road that was close (probably 300+ yards off the beaten path) was always a mess to get down. Periodically, when I would go there - there'd be new floral arrangements or the "stick" plastic flowers on some of the graves.

I never saw anyone going to the gravesite, but I always appreciated that someone would visit a loved one in remembrance. If the arrangement or "stick" flowers had been knocked or blown over from wind or branches - I would always stand it back up. I suspect that it was the their family members that lived at the end of the dirt/clay road where it teed into the paved highway, but never asked.

I will look for a picture that I have of a homemade headstone that I found in the woods while blood trailing a buck that my son had shot. It was a pretty cool find.

Last edited by Hunting-231; 11/30/22 07:45 PM.

"The struggle you're in today, is developing the strength you need for tomorrow."