Several have been picked up on the creek here. There were several tribes living up and down the creek all the way to the TN River. The sites are easy to see if in ag land. The dirt is black. I have one atlatl that was picked up over 30 years ago on the Colbert/Lawrence line where the train tracks cross the creek. There has been alot of stuff come off that site also. Most of the relics found there are rough and not very elaborate. We have always found all kinds of points on that site. Paleo to Woodland so it was a site that was used over and over by different groups of Native Americans. The kicker is, this site is only a little over 2 miles away from Heaven's Half Acre. Just imagine what is along the creek that has never been disturbed and is still wooded.

I have a friend who several years ago was deer hunting in the bottom there. An armadillo had dug a burrow and kicked up a bunch of black dirt. Looking at the dirt he saw a piece of flint and knew this was a site. He kicked the dirt around a little and half of a red, two-hole gorget was uncovered. He got real excited and started digging around in the dirt with a stick and found the other piece of the gorget. A Native custom I have heard is that the Native Americans always broke the gorget to allow the spirit to be set free. Don't know if this is true or not, but I have been told this several times. He wound up trading the gorget he found for a Browning BAR.

I can't stand a thief.