Just got back in from a doozy.
Hunter shot the deer this on choccolocco wma with a rifle at 20 yds. Waited he said for 1.5 hours to go track it. Deer was bedded about 200 yds from him and yes you guessed it they jumped it. Callede about dinner, I get there talk to the hunter and his buddy get a hold of the game warden and get cleared to take the dog in. Get to the hit site find some chunks of meat and long whit hair. Get the dog started and takes me to the bed and goes off down the side of mountain. Down into a pretty hardwood bottom. We tracked back up a lil ridge and the dog just lost interest. I fairly sure this deer was grazed low and is alive and will be fine. I'm not sure if yuns have hunted choccolocco any but when I said we off down a mountain that meant I had to come back up it. That's some.of the worst country I have ever seen and been in and I have hunted out west in the Rockies and don't think it was that.wr covered almost 5 miles according to the Garmin and I'm fairly sure it lost service several times.
We all shoot our rifles at distance but it don't hurt to cut one loose up close just to know what your point of aim needs to be if you get one in your lap