I'd probably put in below the dam and go up to just above the big power line that crosses the river. There's a hump midriver that drops back off gradually right about there and the blues and flatheads lay up waiting for injured or dead shad and skipjack to come drifting by. Starting at the dam and as far as there is a concrete wall along the turbine side there is also a concrete bottom with rip-rap starting below that. They will lay in that rip-rap at the end of the concrete bottom waiting for dinner too. I see a lot of boats anchored up but I personally like to drift down through there bumping bottom as I go. You lose a lot of terminal tackle but you cover a lot of water and I believe I hook more fish that way. (If boats are anchored watch very carefully and give them plenty of room) If the water is not running go home cuddle up to your wife and come back another time. If it's idling slowly they will often be up closer to the dam. Like real close, within casting distance. If it's rolling pretty good I'd concentrate most of my time downstream of the power-line. You can call ahead of time or look online to get an idea of how the water will be running. Like FF said, I like to use a Carolina rig of sorts. It's quick and easy to tie. If drifting a 1/2 to 1 oz egg sinker will work fine. If anchored you will likely need more. I like a regular baitholder hook 1/0 to 5/0, when drifting.

TVA 1 800 238 2264 Then dial 4 at the prompt then 29 at the next.
CFS < 20,000 is fairly slow
CFS 20,000-40,000 is what I consider midrange and
CFS > 40,000 is rolling pretty good
If it's > about 55,000 or 60,000 there's probably floodgates open.