Originally Posted by rickyh_2
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I thought she was gonna make it as well. She love to hunt and covered a lot of ground while doing it; so I reckon she went out doing what she loved. I got two pups left from her only litter, gonna be tough letting them be dogs, but got to let them do what they love. Not worried about the boy; he’s a sensitive fellow and don’t won’t to leave my side when we out walking; now the girl loves a mud hole, creek, pond or anything wet as well as the thick grasses. I told the wife to find a vet in town that has the anti-venom and put back money cause it’s coming again. It’s just tough loosing a dog especially as smart and gentle as she was; she actually found us last year a few months after loosing out 18 year mini rat terrier; so that has opened up old wounds especially for the wife. Once again, thanks for everything!!

Our family dog got bit by a copperhead recently. We took him to get anti venom at the emergency vet. My wife negotiated them down on cost thankfully. It was “We cannot pay that, but we don’t want to lose our dog” tears streaming down her face that the vet helped us out.

His neck was swollen and he was in a lot of pain. Some many folks told me I over reacted because it was only a copperhead bite, but I didn’t care because we didn’t want to lose our dog.

The vet said that most dogs do survive a copperhead bite, but he said that the only way to neutralize the venom was anti-venom to stop it from damaging tissues and organs internally.

One bag of anti venom did the trick and the next morning his swelling disappeared. He was very lethargic, but he it took him over a week before he would go to that part of the backyard again.

Sorry about your dog. They are a huge part of the family and have such a profound impact on our kids especially during Covid. Thank goodness you have some other ones. I did kill the copperhead. I hate them SOBs.