Originally Posted by Clem

I have noticed more, to be honest, since that thread emerged 10 years ago. It's an actual word albeit not regularly used, though I do see it now and then.

I also see "casted" in some fishing stories: Jawbone casted his shad guts into the eddy hoping for a bite from a big catfish.

Another legit phrase, albeit old and now revived is "try and ...", such as this: Jawbone hopes to try and catch a big catfish. Or also, "Jawbone tried and failed to catch a big catfish."

Why not just use "Jawbone hopes to catch a big catfish" or "Jawbone failed to catch a big catfish" instead of a weird, dated phrase?

What I've discovered is that most uses in these instances are by young people who have been told "just write, it doesn't matter" or they get a ribbon for creating a "story" in school, or they don't have editors with spines who correct their work (or no editor at all). And so we get stories with costed and casted and "tried and ..." and other unusual phrases or words.

Jawbone always hopes to catch a big catfish except when he is fishing off his brother's pier on Perdido Bay. Then that is about all he catches.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.