Gobbler covered it well. I get that broomsedge habitat in patches of longleaf pine scattered over the place, with a 3 yr burning rotation. I don't know what part of FL you are in, but if it's within their native range they should do ok, and Mr. Biden will even pay for them to be planted. At least you have something growing in the nesting habitat.

One thing that I am convinced will help poult survival is strips or patches of centipede throughout the place. It needs to be very close to the nesting area, and as soon as they hatch the hens will carry the poults to the centipede and use it as the main bugging area for a week or so. As soon as they get a little taller, she will take them to taller grass, but the centipede provides something that nothing else does and helps them survive that critical first week. You won't find any other places recommending centipede; it's a concept that we pioneered here at PCP University.
smile

Turkeys feed in my chufa patches about 10 months out of the year; I would sure plant some of those. I plant a mix of arrowleaf and crimson clovers throughout the place. The larger poults will use them as a primary bugging area.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by poorcountrypreacher; 07/13/22 09:43 AM.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.