Originally Posted by Pwyse
I joined a club 2 years ago. 2500 acres and 1 guy turkey hunts it. 3 years ago they didn’t see many turkeys. The one hunter killed a gobbler about every other year to 1 a year. He didn’t hunt it real hard. The deer hunters got tired of the coons eating all the corn out of their feeders so they started trapping them. 3 years ago they killed over 100 coons. The turkey sightings during the next deer season more than doubled The next season they killed around 70. We killed 3 gobblers the next spring and heard plenty. Killed another 25 coons the next summer and turkey population has been growing every year.
The woods are mostly loblolly pines. Some thinned, some young, some old. Some hardwood bottoms. Still have a ton of coons, especially in the areas around the Sepulga River (which is basically a glorified creek where our lease is). I think the coon population has a lot more to do with this issue than most people think. What are y’all’s thoughts?

I doubt they even put a small dent in the coon numbers on 2500 acres. Would be interesting to know how many there actually are and how far they travel.

Last edited by Ben2; 07/04/22 08:37 AM.