</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking to buy property!
by robinhedd. 05/22/24 09:51 PM
WTB: Kamado Style Grill
by 7x57_Mauser. 05/22/24 05:30 PM
T.U.C "The Undercover" (Deep Concealment IWB)
by MidnightRider. 05/22/24 11:55 AM
For Sale
by Calvin. 05/21/24 01:10 PM
H&r ultra in 35 wheelen
by AustinC. 05/21/24 07:52 AM
Serious Deer Talk
how much ammo
by abolt300. 05/22/24 09:54 PM
Favorite hunting method
by YellaLineHunter. 05/22/24 09:47 PM
Kansas draw
by 700ltr308. 05/22/24 09:34 PM
Useful Gear
by YellaLineHunter. 05/21/24 10:57 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Big Bore. 05/21/24 09:49 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (Exhoosier, Woody1, rrice0725, Dubie, DuckDown11, Luxfisher, mzzy, EricS, jlbuc10, CreekCrosser, Eutaw, mauvilla, brushwhacker, Tree Dweller, hamma, 3Gs, sawdust, outdoorguy88, COOTER, OlTimer, 2 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669327
05/11/22 09:18 PM
05/11/22 09:18 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama
So here is another consideration. In the late 90's when turkeys were everywhere and probably still expanding from restocking, I hunted hurtsboro/union springs area quail places a lot. There were a TON of turkeys. IMO, they were using excellent wildlife habitat but NOT optimal turkey habitat. The population was so high that they were almost forced to use habitat that they may not have used if there weren't turkeys everywhere already, even in the intensive pine plantations in the area. Fast forward to now. The habitat is pretty much the same, same burning, same predator control, same vast expanses of grasslands, same hardwood component, same vast acreage of large landowners......However FAR less turkeys. My theory is they never really liked managed quail plantations but did fine there and used them when all other quality habitat was already occupied. Not sure what this means but I think it is true - overall turkeys are down from a variety of factors and timber management on vast acreage of timberland is a big component. Are there more predators? Undoubtedly yes but I can't say I see more dead coons on the road than I did in the 90's. I KNOW I do see FAR more avian predators and I am SURE these are killing far more poults than they were in the 90's. Anyone got an answer for that one? Are our poult success and nesting success numbers down? according to the current research there is a lower nest success and brood survival than before BUT they are using more advanced telemetry devices that may be better at detecting early nests making it look like they are less successful.

I am convinced part of the decline is "natural" and that the post-restocking numbers we saw in the 90's were unsustainable. We may ne more in the "norm" now but there is other factors driving lowered recruitment. We are NOT replacing the birds like we used to and need to. If it isn't harvest (and I don't think it is) and we don't seem to be getting nest hatched and poults raised into the adult population how do we do it? Is chicken litter killing poults? maybe. Is aflatoxin killing poults in fall then they are small and every deer hunter is pouring corn on the ground? Probably. Is nest success down due to more predators eating eggs, probably. Is vast acreage of pine plantation and the management associated with it making huge acreages unsuitable for turkeys, probably. I still wonder why, when I could regularly hear 10-12 birds gobble from one spot in an open pineywoods quail plantation in the 90's and now, if I am near a hardwood drain on the edge of pineywoods, maybe hear 3-5??? Just musings wink

Last edited by gobbler; 05/11/22 09:23 PM.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: reducing harvest [Re: Frankie] #3669328
05/11/22 09:19 PM
05/11/22 09:19 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline OP
12 point
gobbler  Offline OP
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted by Frankie
Originally Posted by kyles
why don't we outlaw calls too ?

Works for me

First three I killed I had no calls

Never killed one with calls - they don't have hands nor pockets

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669349
05/11/22 09:50 PM
05/11/22 09:50 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Originally Posted by gobbler
Originally Posted by kyles
why don't we outlaw calls too ?

Works for me

First three I killed I had no calls

Never killed one with calls - they don't have hands nor pockets

First three I killed. I had no calls

grin

Last edited by Frankie; 05/11/22 09:53 PM.
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669364
05/11/22 10:14 PM
05/11/22 10:14 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I KNOW I do see FAR more avian predators and I am SURE these are killing far more poults than they were in the 90's. Anyone got an answer for that one?

How much has the cattle industry grown since the 80’s and 90’s???......Hayfields are prime food sources for avian predators…..Do we have a lot more hayfields than back then?

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669380
05/11/22 10:31 PM
05/11/22 10:31 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
You make good habit for any animal you make good habit for the predators that feed on them .
It's just that simple .

I look at it thru predators eyes . If I kill all other predators I'll have more to kill . Even on poor habit I'll have more to kill.

You either limit them or yourself

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669474
05/12/22 07:48 AM
05/12/22 07:48 AM
Clanton
Turkey_neck Offline
Booner
Turkey_neck  Offline
Booner
Clanton
Nest predators are pretty few and far between around my area now as in coons and possums. We haven’t had a huge serge in new poults though. Still yotes foxes and bobcats I need to work on which is my next target. Definitely a lot more hawks around which makes me wonder if that’s the issue.

Would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobblin turkey!
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669565
05/12/22 09:39 AM
05/12/22 09:39 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
In a perfect scenario where we humans hadn’t manipulated the landscape so heavily, you would have a nice balance of habitat structure across the land that was comprised of a nice balance of grasses, broadleafs, and legumes……and that structure would be the driver for producing a nice balanced mix of cover and food where predator and prey populations also nicely balanced each other out…..They would go through ups and downs with the rainfall and vegetation but the end product that came out the back end would be in line with what the natural balance of vegetation was producing.

That’s NOT what we have happening now though…….We’re not even close to operating on that type of game board…..We humans have heavily influenced and manipulated not only the structure of the understory but we have also subsidized food sources that push these predator populations beyond natural levels……

For example with the structural difference……Instead of that natural mix of grass, broadleaf, legume…..we’ve converted HUUUUGE amounts of land to grass monocultures……doing this swings the balance in favor of some animals over others……One of the most important things is that it heavily increases rodent populations…….Lets add 5 or 6 chicken houses to the grass monocultured hay fields and you have a major rat producer that provides lots of quality resources for our predators but few for our desired species like turkey/deer…..That’s why areas like Sand Mt where I grew up have few turkey and deer but still have thriving coyote populations…..Another example of how we skew the predator balance is through our corn baiting…..That is directly introducing additional resources for nest raiders like coons to push their populations above what the land produces…..Even things like the chicken litter that’s being discussed….That’s a subsidized input being injected into the system to produce more grass that comes out the back end of our chain favoring the predators.

My point here is that when we get to this point we’re not really operating on an even playing field anymore with the predators….We’re not just gonna come out on the back end with a nice natural predator/prey relationship with turkey/deer/quail…We’ve done things to the landscape to tilt the benefit in the favor of predators and those things arent going away…. You’re not about to convert thousands of acres of chicken farms back to turkey habitat or anything like that. Even if you did convert one, habitat needs scale to truly be effective.

If we want to do something realistic to help then one of the biggest holes in the bucket is to try and moderate the predator load due to all of these imbalances so that the prey is able to exist in less than ideal habitat conditions…..Because even our “prime” habitat still has its issues. wink grin

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669577
05/12/22 10:17 AM
05/12/22 10:17 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Would it be possible to control the problem in some capacity at the rodent level??

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: CNC] #3669581
05/12/22 10:20 AM
05/12/22 10:20 AM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by CNC
In a perfect scenario where we humans hadn’t manipulated the landscape so heavily, you would have a nice balance of habitat structure across the land that was comprised of a nice balance of grasses, broadleafs, and legumes……and that structure would be the driver for producing a nice balanced mix of cover and food where predator and prey populations also nicely balanced each other out…..They would go through ups and downs with the rainfall and vegetation but the end product that came out the back end would be in line with what the natural balance of vegetation was producing.

That’s NOT what we have happening now though…….We’re not even close to operating on that type of game board…..We humans have heavily influenced and manipulated not only the structure of the understory but we have also subsidized food sources that push these predator populations beyond natural levels……

For example with the structural difference……Instead of that natural mix of grass, broadleaf, legume…..we’ve converted HUUUUGE amounts of land to grass monocultures……doing this swings the balance in favor of some animals over others……One of the most important things is that it heavily increases rodent populations…….Lets add 5 or 6 chicken houses to the grass monocultured hay fields and you have a major rat producer that provides lots of quality resources for our predators but few for our desired species like turkey/deer…..That’s why areas like Sand Mt where I grew up have few turkey and deer but still have thriving coyote populations…..Another example of how we skew the predator balance is through our corn baiting…..That is directly introducing additional resources for nest raiders like coons to push their populations above what the land produces…..Even things like the chicken litter that’s being discussed….That’s a subsidized input being injected into the system to produce more grass that comes out the back end of our chain favoring the predators.

My point here is that when we get to this point we’re not really operating on an even playing field anymore with the predators….We’re not just gonna come out on the back end with a nice natural predator/prey relationship with turkey/deer/quail…We’ve done things to the landscape to tilt the benefit in the favor of predators and those things arent going away…. You’re not about to convert thousands of acres of chicken farms back to turkey habitat or anything like that. Even if you did convert one, habitat needs scale to truly be effective.

If we want to do something realistic to help then one of the biggest holes in the bucket is to try and moderate the predator load due to all of these imbalances so that the prey is able to exist in less than ideal habitat conditions…..Because even our “prime” habitat still has its issues. wink grin

My goodness. Not more of all this balance and "moderate" crap again.

You are like the noble savage theorist of modern day ecology.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: Semo] #3669589
05/12/22 10:31 AM
05/12/22 10:31 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Semo

laugh ...... That's pretty funny, I'll give you that rofl

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: CNC] #3669615
05/12/22 11:15 AM
05/12/22 11:15 AM
Georgia and Missouri
Semo Offline
12 point
Semo  Offline
12 point
Georgia and Missouri
Originally Posted by CNC

laugh ...... That's pretty funny, I'll give you that rofl

I enjoy most of your posts (sometimes they can be a bit long) and think many of your ideas have merit. However, the quality of habitat and exological conditions (think 1000s of years) werent always more selective for what we consider modern day game species. Namely, deer and turkey which are generalists.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: Semo] #3669624
05/12/22 11:52 AM
05/12/22 11:52 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I enjoy most of your posts (sometimes they can be a bit long) .........

Would you like for me to maybe start condensing them down into a Tic-Toc video for you??? grin

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669637
05/12/22 12:21 PM
05/12/22 12:21 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
CNC, ,,,, nature is a boom and bust system not a balance if left alone.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: Frankie] #3669644
05/12/22 12:35 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
CNC, ,,,, nature is a boom and bust system not a balance if left alone.

Yes it is. I just tried to convince him of that very thing, using his own graph/chart that he posted in the general forum.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669646
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I think y’all may take where I’m coming from wrong sometimes……In a lot of ways I’m looking at it from more of an engineering and physics perspective in simply understanding how its built and how it functions from a foundational level…..what are the principles that hold constant…..When we use words like balance what I’m really referring to is something more like a chemistry or math equation where no matter how you slice it up…..when you do something to this side of the equation it has an effect on the other side…..For every action there is a reaction…..You add this then it subtracts that….If we understand how all of those equations work with each of the variables then we know what will happen if we adjust this variable this way and that one that way……. And if game species like deer, turkey, and quail are what we want and the game board looks like “X”….or “Y” and we’re constrained at how we can go about effecting change…..then understanding these principles help us to know what can still be tweaked to help get the desired effect……

Right now we are the point in our state level game management where we have the duct tape and baling wire out trying to fix it…..but hey, I’ve been there too. rofl

Last edited by CNC; 05/12/22 12:36 PM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669649
05/12/22 12:49 PM
05/12/22 12:49 PM
A
abolt300 Offline
Booner
abolt300  Offline
Booner
A
here's your solution then. The state is managing the wildlife resources based solely on maximizing revenue, backroom deals, and recommendations from the CAB (very few if any of the members know much about wildlife management). I think that Chuckie likes to be seen as being "woke" among the outdoor crowd, dominant gobbler theory etc. Solve this problem and replace everyone currently involved, with a group of knowledgeable professionals that want to manage the state's wildlife resources for the health and sustainability of the wildlife,

It's not always a bottom up approach. Sometimes the problem is at the top and once you take the top off, the rest of the issues fix themselves.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: abolt300] #3669652
05/12/22 01:08 PM
05/12/22 01:08 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by abolt300
here's your solution then. The state is managing the wildlife resources based solely on maximizing revenue, backroom deals, and recommendations from the CAB (very few if any of the members know much about wildlife management). I think that Chuckie likes to be seen as being "woke" among the outdoor crowd, dominant gobbler theory etc. Solve this problem and replace everyone currently involved, with a group of knowledgeable professionals that want to manage the state's wildlife resources for the health and sustainability of the wildlife,

It's not always a bottom up approach. Sometimes the problem is at the top and once you take the top off, the rest of the issues fix themselves.

You'll have to talk to Mee-Maw about that one chief......That's not my department. grin

We dont rent pigs
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669776
05/12/22 05:03 PM
05/12/22 05:03 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
So here is another consideration. In the late 90's when turkeys were everywhere and probably still expanding from restocking, I hunted hurtsboro/union springs area quail places a lot. There were a TON of turkeys. IMO, they were using excellent wildlife habitat but NOT optimal turkey habitat. The population was so high that they were almost forced to use habitat that they may not have used if there weren't turkeys everywhere already, even in the intensive pine plantations in the area. Fast forward to now. The habitat is pretty much the same, same burning, same predator control, same vast expanses of grasslands, same hardwood component, same vast acreage of large landowners......However FAR less turkeys. My theory is they never really liked managed quail plantations but did fine there and used them when all other quality habitat was already occupied. Not sure what this means but I think it is true - overall turkeys are down from a variety of factors and timber management on vast acreage of timberland is a big component. Are there more predators? Undoubtedly yes but I can't say I see more dead coons on the road than I did in the 90's. I KNOW I do see FAR more avian predators and I am SURE these are killing far more poults than they were in the 90's. Anyone got an answer for that one? Are our poult success and nesting success numbers down? according to the current research there is a lower nest success and brood survival than before BUT they are using more advanced telemetry devices that may be better at detecting early nests making it look like they are less successful.

I am convinced part of the decline is "natural" and that the post-restocking numbers we saw in the 90's were unsustainable. We may ne more in the "norm" now but there is other factors driving lowered recruitment. We are NOT replacing the birds like we used to and need to. If it isn't harvest (and I don't think it is) and we don't seem to be getting nest hatched and poults raised into the adult population how do we do it? Is chicken litter killing poults? maybe. Is aflatoxin killing poults in fall then they are small and every deer hunter is pouring corn on the ground? Probably. Is nest success down due to more predators eating eggs, probably. Is vast acreage of pine plantation and the management associated with it making huge acreages unsuitable for turkeys, probably. I still wonder why, when I could regularly hear 10-12 birds gobble from one spot in an open pineywoods quail plantation in the 90's and now, if I am near a hardwood drain on the edge of pineywoods, maybe hear 3-5??? Just musings wink

I think you are right again, and I have thought for a long time that the "good ole days" that so many remember were due to restocking and those numbers were not sustainable. We saw an explosion of turkeys in the 60s where I grew up, but it leveled off in about 10 years and hasn't varied a lot since. There have been up and down cycles, and habitat change has affected smaller areas, but we have never returned to what we had in the 60s. I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to ever do so.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669825
05/12/22 06:51 PM
05/12/22 06:51 PM
Hardwoods
B
Bankheadhunter Offline
4 point
Bankheadhunter  Offline
4 point
B
Hardwoods
Until our Democratic DCNR has some major changes and fast then I see 0 changes.

Re: reducing harvest [Re: gobbler] #3669830
05/12/22 07:04 PM
05/12/22 07:04 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
There's a lot things hunters can do no need to wait on government.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.