Originally Posted by BrentM
Originally Posted by turkey247
Originally Posted by BrentM
Strange that we are seeing so many early poults this year. Maybe it’s because the dominant gobbler had 10 extra days to do his job.

Not when they are running around mid April, but I get the angle. You and I probably disagree about DGB exactly. But we probably agree on the need for zones. Like I stated previously - DGB believers should be advocating zones to prove the theory. The 3 states most affected, IMO, by geography and green up, are GA, AL, and MS. Those 3 southern states cannot have a single season structure. It’s counter to the theory on its face.

I’ve always said alabama needs a minimum of 2 but preferably 3 zones for turkeys. It’s a heckuva long way latitude wise and springtime wise from the gulf coast to the Cumberland plateau. I’ve been on youth hunts when it was 17 degrees, hunted in sleet and heavy snow before on March 15. It’s different up here and I’ve always said our turkey season should mimic the Tennesse season.
Heck back in my younger days before the statute of limitations ran out some of the best Alabama turkey hunts I’ve ever witnessed took place in the first 10 days of May.
Here’s the difference in Alabama and the yankee states………. Them people don’t care about turkeys. They got a 3 week season that starts late and they sit in their tent and kill their 2 gobblers over a decoy the first 2 times they go and spend the rest of the year ice fishing and talking about how stupid turkeys are.
Alabama is special because before decoys and fans we had to do it the right way. It’s not easy to kill 5 turkeys the right way so we had long liberal seasons. Now in the decoy and fan era; Lonnie Sixpack can sit in his tent and kill 3 or 4 then ride the roads with a fan and kill half a dozen more. This has gone on for a few years and now we don’t have turkeys anymore.
So we either have to get rid of fans and decoys or go to a 3 week 2 bird season like the Yankees do if we are ever gonna get our turkeys back.
It’s just that simple. I’m like 10 Bears from Josey Wales. There is iron in my words. I’m speaking the truth. If somebody don’t like me for telling the truth I don’t care because if you gotta have a fan or a gobbler decoy or a cell camera to kill a turkey I wouldn’t hunt with you for a thousand dollars in cash anyway. Ridgestalker is one of the best turkey hunters on this planet. He’s telling you the same thing. Listen to him Montgomery. Get rid of the decoys and we get our turkeys back. It’s that simple.

So Brent..youre saying youve never fanned one ? Or hunted with people and done it? Never used a decoy? Just asking....

To be honest I might have fanned just a few in my life, but most of the times it didnt work. But heck yea Ive tried. Shot two or three too. Told the story here as well. Posted the pics too. Under a different name though.

And Ive run decoys before but not worth the hassle IMO though I have friends that swear by them.

Mine were free and twenty year old buck wings. Back then I thought they were something until I saw my buddies AvainX. Thing looked great. He stuck it out there about a week ago and we didnt see a dam bird though.Heck..we were even in a dam tent blind. Wew were waiting for a kamikaze domint bird. Guess there were none around dang it!

And I hunted all over the North..from Maine, NH, VT, Ma. NY , PA, Ohio, Wyoming, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois... and too be honest never saw so many tents set up until I hunted Bama. Every dang food plot on every club Ive ever joined.. Look out in front of them and a pile of seed is somewhere in that food plot too. Truth.

But the simple fact is bait, blinds, folks starting March 1st, stop and dropping other folks land while freaking when it happens to them... over looking them and outlaws are indeed the biggest problem in Alabama and until folks decide to address that yall just pissing in the wind.

Anyone thinking it is decoys or Dominant gobblers really need to look a little further. And maybe into the mirror. shocked

Last edited by Here4fun; 05/09/22 11:24 PM.