Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted by hosscat
I planted 13 acres this weekend. Small field of brown top for doves and couple acre field of sunflowers for my wife. Then a few acres of a mix(sun hemp, sunflowers, IC peas, and a piece of a bag of corn from last year). Then I drilled about 4acres of chufas. I plan to spray gly before they sprout, got a few acres hit yesterday

Have you ever drilled chufas before? If you did, how did they do? That might be the cheapest and easiest way to grow them if it will work.

GK, a mix of 3 lbs of crimson clover to one pound of arrowleaf has been the most cost effective plot for me over the years. I plant the same fields year after year and they both reseed very well. I just bush hog the first of October, very lightly disc, and then throw out a little more seed. I don't even fertilize a lot of it, and the deer and turkeys seem to use the unfertilized plots as well as the places I fertilize. I add rye to the mix on the primary deer plots and some fertilizer on them; I may not use any at all this year.

My uncle and I have planted 4 acres of dove fields in the past week. T13 was $20 a bag. My deer will just have to scrap for a living.

I have not no-till drilled chufas in the past. I will post on here how it turns out, but I am hopeful. I rented a 706nt drill for fall plots last year and plan to do nothing but no-till as long as I can get my hands on one. The 706 was rented up for a while so I ended up renting a 1006 which kept me from getting to 2 of plots I was hoping to plant. I planted on a Friday, then sprayed gly over most of the fields that weekend (I didn't get to a couple). I have not used chicken litter in over a decade, but I am this year.

Last edited by hosscat; 05/09/22 10:31 AM.