I basically took over the lease. We had 19 members last year. We have a few that hardly, if ever hunt. Children are allowed, most sit with their parent. And it's not a large number. Guests are allowed with approval but only 3 times. Turkey hunting is included. Dues are $1,200, which is what they have been, we just got rid of the upfront discount this year. I think $1,500 is where they will need to be to get the member numbers lower and plant and fertilize properly.

I have been focused on food mainly. I did soil tests and limed 2 falls ago. I have really spent a lot of my own $ getting mainly WTI clover/fusion established. I know the deer herd has grown, but I'm not sure yet where I think it is. We have some nice mature bucks on the property, but they are tough to kill.

I want to reduce the member count, and improve our deer density. Then I think the transition to fewer members and better deer is easier. To help with that we lowered the doe kill limit and said you can't shoot one off a greenfield. I started last year when I was made the Pres convincing folks the idea of shooting every doe that walks out on a greenfield is a bad one. It helped with people seeing deer last season too.

I'm not sure how closely you have read a lease, but Westervelt can spell out how many doe's they want us to kill. The only analysis I can see online is from 2018 and it said to kill 10. We haven't ever killed 10 since I have been here. I could probably have killed 5 last year easily if I wanted. But feel I should be setting an example too. I really don't think anyone would complain about me doing that, since I do most of the field work. But... You know.

I figured it would take me a couple more years to really get this place dialed in and get everyone on the same page.