Originally Posted by turkey247
It’s almost like AL needs zoned openers based on incredibly diverse lands/climate from south to north. Never thought of that………

Even though we have different spring green-ups I don’t think we automatically have to divide everything up. In the end as long as we don’t kill “too many” then it doesn’t matter….I really think if we addressed the issues that need addressing then you could just start somewhere in the March 1-10 timeframe across the whole state and everything work out just fine. If you postpone decoy use until April 1 or later then you’ll likely balance out any additional early kill from moving the starting date back even further in the northern part of the state……A good happy medium would probably be opening the first Saturday in March statewide. In my opinion the main change that has occurred in recent times that has prompted this “turkey decline” business is the legalization of baiting and the impact its had on the coon population. That’s the first thing to address and it doesn’t have to be through eliminating that revenue stream for someone…..It could be balanced by adding another revenue stream through a trapping incentive. South Dakota has recently implemented one in their state.....The biggest problem I see with their incentive is that its only paying $10 per coon.....That really isnt enough $$$ to drive a major trapping effort I dont believe....It needs to be enough to get folks out trying to trap 100 coons......250 coons.......maybe even 500 in a season. Figure out a way to do that and then we'll see a difference. You'll see trapping catch fire if that happens

Last edited by CNC; 04/27/22 07:45 AM.

We dont rent pigs