Well Grant is in a position where he gets to do all the stuff most of us cannot do. And he is a biologist. I am a part time green field guy. And no one is sponsoring me.

I don't mind having to fertilize. I think you look at your crop and see what its doing. Yellowing cereals or brassica's means you need to add nitrogen. Slow clover, phosphorus and or potash. I think having it limed right is what makes it taste better. I tried some of my greens this year, they were all pretty sweet. If you have ever gotten ahold of some bitter kale, its gross. If I didn't have a 3 pt spreader, then fertilizing would suck.

What I have learned over the last 3 going on 4 years is the deer really like the clover. They like the chicory in the summer too. They like beans and pea's, but I don't have the acreage to really plant that and provide food like I can do with clover. They like sunn hemp, and if i want biomass, that is my go to plant. They like the brassica's and cereals in the fall. Adding ag lime helped, but getting the right mix and amount of fertilizer did the most. As far as production. Next fall, I will add some annual clovers and back off the brassicas a bit and see if that works.

The thing I wish I could do, is have a timed release fertilizer. Or have a crop that addes nitrogen as its decomposing. But its tough even with that to get a field that I can completely plant to the edge of the woodline and get stuff to grow. So the edges of the fields always tend to have less production and show more evidence of improper fertilizing. One of my old friends always told me to plant clover on the edges, and other stuff in the middle. But the edges are the toughest to get to grow well. I don't know if its sap from the pines, or what.