Reading and understanding the Bible in proper context matters. First and most importantly, only regenerated Believers can properly understand Scripture. We can all read the Bible and gain knowledge of facts (Notitia). We can find agreement with what the Bible states (Assensus). It takes true trust in Christ for us to obtain true, saving faith (Fiducia).

Even so, understanding verses in proper context is important. A number of verses are commonly misunderstood.

Philippians 4:13 – “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (NASB)

This doesn't mean that we can slam dunk a basketball, score touchdowns or get that big promotion that we've been waiting for. Paul knew he would soon be going to prison and was reflecting on how he had been taken care of through all of his circumstances and that he was content through it all.

Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

This one is often quoted when we meet some unexpected hurdle in our life.
The book of Jeremiah leading up to chapter 29 is about Israel’s disobedience and God’s punishment. In fact, chapter 29 is written to the exiles in Babylon, who were there because of disobedience. Verse 11 is speaking of how God would eventually restore them.

Matthew 18:20 -- "For where two or more are gathered in my name, there am I with them.”

Although God IS in small gatherings, this is not what the verse conveys in its context. In the previous verses of chapter 18, the subject of church discipline is being taught. "If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. ’If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector." Although these are some uncomfortable actions to take, its what the Bible commands us to do.

Overall, sitting under leadership, within the church, that has Scripturally-sound doctrine is vitally important. A Pastor that exposits the Scripture verse-by-verse, word-by-word is superior to topical sermons that focus on a couple of particular verses and are sprinkled with opinion.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton