Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors
Originally Posted by HippieKiller
Originally Posted by Mbrock
I’m not going to allow my worship to be hindered by the fact whoever sings it has different theological views than myself. Although I think there’s several song writers and bands who have heretical stands on issues, if they perform a song that I can worship God to then guess what? I worship. Don’t eat meat sacrificed to idols if it bothers you. If it don’t and you don’t acknowledge those idols, then eat away.

This right here.

As protestants, we just celebrated the 504th anniversary of Martin Luther's nailing of the 95 thesis. As believers, we can rejoice and appreciate Martin Luther's works regarding the solas, while not being in agreement with his position against the Jews. We don't throw out or discount everything Martin Luther did on account of his sinful anti semitic ways. Likewise, if a Bethel staff member is a full blown heretic but writes a piece of theologically sound poetry, we can take the good while leaving the bad. Let each work (in this context, song) stand or fall on its own merit.

Afterall, if God can use a donkey as his means to speak to Balaam and for His glory, then certainly he can use a modern jackass to write/sing a song that glorifies Him as well.

You certainly bring up an excellent point with Luther. Luther was also correct in Sola Scriptura and we should contend for the authority and accuracy of scripture, as well, including in Christian music. Doctrine matters. Mark 7:6-8 warns,

"6"and he said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written,

“ ‘This people honors me with their lips,

but their heart is far from me;

7 in vain do they worship me,

teaching as doctrines the commandments of men."

Though we may also never willingly join or give financially to heretical churches, we may support them financially by listening to their music or using them in our churches.

So is your issue the person and their lifestyle or the message contained in the songs? It seems you are more interested in who the person is and their individual beliefs rather than what is contained in the song and the mindset in which it is sang. I can tell you that neither you nor I should even be alive, much less in a position to have this conversation or serve God in our local church, if only those who were worthy to be used were allowed to serve. Why don't we focus on the spreading of the gospel rather than the methods that each sinful man deems appropriate or not.

It is what it is.

Inspect what you Expect.

Hunting TN, AL, KY, and IL.