Originally Posted by todd w
I have bounced back and forth on whether to weigh in on this, but here I am.

As far as the practice of playing worship music, we must examine the scriptures to make sure it is acceptable or not. Does it conform to God's word or does it violate it? I have very few songs that have been published that I can sit and say are blatant errors and violate the scriptures. Your personal preference or thoughts on the person who wrote the music should not play into the fact that these songs either agree or disagree with scripture. God uses flawed people everyday to accomplish His goals. God even uses non-christians to speak to me and show me things we wants me to learn. Discernment is key and no blanket statements can be accurate all the time.

Now, as far as the lifestyle and beliefs of the church/authors of the songs, if i were going to pay them to come speak at my church or attend a live event where they had the freedom to say whatever they wanted, I would be more interested in their personal beliefs/values. While, yes it can be a slippery slope if discernment is not applied, you can use their material without bringing their lifestyle into it.

It all comes down to your motivation for worship. If it is honoring God, I cannot see where a limitation could or should be placed on it. Note I said honoring God, not self/culture.

Lastly, i will add that if you cannot find yourself closer to God when you worship Him you are doing it wrong. While the purpose is not to bless ourselves, we definitely should be blessed when we enter His presence.

Solid post.