Originally Posted by Be_Cam
As I’m scrolling through Facebook this morning, I see a lot of kids “5-7 years old” with there first deer. Well that great and I’m glad the kids want to hunt and kill a deer that bad at a young age. But what was learned out of the hunt? If I’m in a blind with my 5 year old and we kill a deer over a corn pile at 10 yards with a cross bow, did we hunt it and kill it or did we just pull a trigger? Does parents not teach there kids how to small game hunt anymore? Learn about squirrels and rabbits then work your way into deer hunting? When I was a kid “early 90s” we didn’t have many doe days in Cleburne county, like 2 or 3 after Christmas Day I think. Hell we didn’t have a lot of deer at all really. But I learned the woods and gun safety while squirrel and rabbit hunting. Daddy would let me carry my shotgun unloaded constantly preaching saftey to me, until we seen a squirrel the he would hand me a shell. To each his own I guess, I just can’t help but wander if we’re raising trigger pullers now instead of actually outdoorsman and hunters. But I also think that’s why we so many dogs get called into bad shots, and why a lot of grown men only know how to hunt shooting houses. They was never taught how to shoot, where to aim, wait on a good shot etc. How many grown men you know now that don’t know what oak trees are? Or know what a natural funnel is, draws, pinch points, ridges and so many other terms to go into deer hunting. A man should do what’s best for him and his family whatever that may be, I just think for the most part, a kid should learn about the woods, how they work, why they work, and earn a respect for them. Just morning thought while I drink my cup of Brandon. 😁😁

Your post and this thread has a lot of false assumptions.
I'm okay with the opinions, as long as you don't expect others to follow your opinions.
If it is legal and you are capable, do it, and don't worry about the opinions of others.

First, you don't know what parents have or have not taught their children.
To assume all youth hunters have not hunted small game and or varmints in the 5-7 year old range would be incorrect for my children.
To assume they were not out hunting with their dad, before they started hunting, would false as well

Our daughter has never shot a BB gun, but started with a single shot 22lr and was shooting paper at 5 on up.
Erik never shot a bb gun or 22lr, he just jumped to center-fire specialty pistols at 9 years old, and was shooting out past 500 yard steel on his second day doing it.

Around 7 Kristen was shooting prairie dogs at over 100 yards with that chipmunk 22lr rifle and with my center-grip 221 Fireball XP-100. The Chipmunk still has the same scope on it.
[Linked Image]
I forgot what was the youngest age, you could hunt deer was in Kansas back in the day.
But her very first year, she shot her buck at 285 yards with a single-shot MOA Maximum pistol in 260 Remington.
She never used a rifle, but used the MOA Maximum and a center-grip 6mm-284 XP-100.
I am not going to list all of her hunting, but making a point, that some kids start young, and in a number of ways can out shoot adults from the bench and from the field.

You can have all of your ideology, ethics, and what you think is right or wrong, but that doesn't make it so.

Don't let others bind their ethics on you or your children. Don't let their limits control you.
A friend of mine said this recently: "Don’t let others limitations get confused with ethics or become your own limitations."

If it is legal and you are capable, do it, and don't worry about the opinions of others.

Sometimes I kill big game at under 40 yards with one of my handguns, and at other times I may kill one at 1,000 yards with one of my specialty pistols.
I hunt the way I want (Dependent up on that states game laws of course), depending on my mood, the amount of practice I have put in, atmospheric conditions, the terrain, etc..
My max distance limit with the very same weapon is going to be different, based on a number of factors.

Maybe we should be more supportive of other sportsmen, sportswomen, and their children, without attempting to bind our own sense of right and wrong on others.

We wonder sometimes why the tide moves against us.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy
[color:#000066][/color]

"If you can see it, you can hit it"
Ernie