What I noticed last season on one field in particular is the deer would come out and eat the corn for about 5 minutes or so, and then eat the green plants in the food plot for a lot longer. The thing you can't get away from in the winter is the deer have to have "greens" of some sort since most all that dies off except for green briar and privit hedge and some honey suckle. They are eating acorns and then the corn, plus woody mast, and they can't digest it without greens. I never ever saw a deer sit on a corn pile and eat for longer than about 5 or 6 minutes. You can make them stay longer if you really scatter it around, where they have to work for it to find it, but then you still end up with Coons on it all night long.

I had a really hot spot last year and I went in and trapped coons off it, and that just added extra traffic, plus me in there killing them. So I think this year I will set some traps in places I don't want to hunt and see if I can catch some. Especially when I had one of my kiddo's with me, because they want to go and either kill it, or watch. Not sure if that spot will be good this year or not, I just put a camera on it over the weekend, along with some persimmon crush. Going to get some rice bran and scatter it around too.

But that would be a good way to get some extra seed in the ground. I have really worked hard this season to get perennial stuff on nearly all the plots. The ones I have camera's on that I established last year have been pounded this year. If those had been pea fields, they would have been bare 3 months ago.