Originally Posted by chadmag12
Just joining this thread so the answer to my question could be in here somewhere and I just haven't seen it yet. But I am new to attempting to grow chufa, this is my first year making an attempt. I planted about 40 lbs. on May 15th and put 100 lbs. of 13/13/13 on it, got a ton of rain shortly after planting...now 2 months later, I can see what I think is the chufa but the weeds are very thick, especially on the edges (I planted on a highline). I feel like my only option is to spray it. Initially, I sprayed the area I was going to plant 2 weeks before disking and planting, and sprayed it with Eraser then. I don't think Eraser is what I need to use this time. My question is .. what do I need to spray the plot with now that will kill the weeds but will not kill the chufa plants that are there? I appreciate any feedback and help that you guys can provide.

You didn't tell us how big the area is that you planted, but 40 lbs of seed and only 100 lbs of fertilizer is probably out of sync. That much seed should plant close to an acre, and you probably need at least 300 lbs of T13 on that much land. It's not too late to add more.

You are way behind on spraying and you are not likely to get a clean field spraying at this point. But it's definitely worth doing and knocking the weeds back by any amount is better than nothing. The thing about it when the weeds are 2 months old is that the rates of herbicides needed to completely kill them will probably kill the chufas too. I would spray them at the rates listed in the thread General linked, and put out more fertilizer at the same time.

I have some fields this year that are not pretty at all. I couldn't get them sprayed on time because of all the rain and some personal issues, so the weeds were too big when I finally got to spray them. Those fields are not gonna make max yield, but if it keeps raining they are still gonna make more chufas than the turkeys can eat. So good luck in producing some chufas!

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.