Originally Posted by Ben2
Originally Posted by Turkey
Hogs is why I quit trying to grow them. I have pictures of maybe 2 or 3 hogs a year passing through my lease. Though I figure having them one day is inevitable, I don't want to set the table for them. I've switched the chufa plots back to clover.

We have hogs regularly and they have not touched our chufa. Planted 9 fields this yr and not a hog in any of them

I have never grown chufas myself in hog country, but my father and uncle have done it. They didn't bother their chufas until they matured, and then they came in and just destroyed the fields. They dug holes deep enough that you could have turned a tractor over if you weren't careful. So the fall and winter will be the time that the hogs can come in and ruin your chufas. Ben, I think you have been lucky if you have hogs that time of year and they have never gotten into your chufas, and I hope it continues.

The old extension service pamphlet I saw advised farmers to mound up the rows like you would potatoes and then fence it and turn the hogs in after they matured. I have no idea how many farmers actually did it, but dealing with the aftermath would have kept me from doing that but once.

It's good to hear that some are able to grow chufas in hog country.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.