Originally Posted by Squeaky
I can tell you guy's that are new to growing chufa, follow the advice above! Mr. Steve has been a huge part in teaching me how to grow chufa. The only thing I have done different is I plant mine in rows. I'm lucky to have access to a planter, therefore I take advantage of being able to use it. I have learned it is personally easier for me to keep the weeds in check and I do not damage many chufa plants due to driving between the rows.. I have also seen great yields planting in rows.

Thanks Squeaky, and I agree that it is better to plant them in rows, and especially in larger plots. I used a planter several years but my biggest problem was that the planter was junk and I spent more time working on it than I did planting. If you are willing to plow them a couple of times, you can grow chufas without herbicides in some fields. Covington actually makes a chufa plate, and that is ideal if you have the equipment.

I sprayed the little plot on Monday and this is what it looks like 48 hrs later. The morning glories are already dying and the grass has some brown places on it. There is also a few brown spots on the chufas, that I think is damage from the Clethodim. I don't think it will hurt it, but I think that shows there is a very narrow window on the Clethodim as to how much to use. Not enough doesn't kill the grass and just a little too much will damage the chufas.

You can also see the damage from the cart tires. Most of the plants that were run over are going to die, but that isn't as big a deal as one might think. The chufas should spread out and fill in the tire tracks as they get bigger. The only thing I should have left to do is to add a bag of ammonium nitrate in the next few days. One bag on this plot will be a rate of 200 lbs per acre and should be about right. If we get a little more rain, there will be turkeys digging up tubers in just a few weeks. They are already using it; I ran 2 hens and their poults out of it yesterday.

[Linked Image]

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.