</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking to buy property!
by robinhedd. 05/22/24 09:51 PM
WTB: Kamado Style Grill
by 7x57_Mauser. 05/22/24 05:30 PM
T.U.C "The Undercover" (Deep Concealment IWB)
by MidnightRider. 05/22/24 11:55 AM
For Sale
by Calvin. 05/21/24 01:10 PM
H&r ultra in 35 wheelen
by AustinC. 05/21/24 07:52 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Favorite hunting method
by lectrode. 05/23/24 05:07 AM
how much ammo
by abolt300. 05/22/24 09:54 PM
Kansas draw
by 700ltr308. 05/22/24 09:34 PM
Useful Gear
by YellaLineHunter. 05/21/24 10:57 PM
Meat hunt outfitter?
by Big Bore. 05/21/24 09:49 PM
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Iso
by AustinC. 05/21/24 05:01 PM
Marengo County Club
by EarlPitts. 05/17/24 04:02 PM
Franklin county Al
by BigBuck10. 05/11/24 09:29 AM
Eastern Coosa County Hog
by Morris. 05/09/24 10:53 AM
Lowndes county club
by Doeslayer44. 05/07/24 10:11 AM
Who's Online Now
78 registered members (mw2015, Omega One, abolt300, outdoorguy88, sj22, Scout10, CatfishJunkie, CrappieMan, Bowfish, Bread, Dragfan66, Ol Backwoods Boy, sportrep, Jbf, Peach, demp17, AJones, Luxfisher, Young20, rutwad, weatherby, MadMallard, Hunting-231, Dead down wind, deadeye48, dsmc, Skullworks, BradB, GATA87, biglmbass, hoggin, graydw1, Drycreek, StateLine, AMB, Herdbull, Teacher One, Thread Killer, Prohunter3509, Brownitsdown, 700ltr308, jaredhunts, Skinner, buzzard, 3Gs, J_K, Bustinbeards, Booger, Rolloverdave, Chaser357, T72, cch, Woody1, JohnG, Luvbowhuntn, Solothurn, sloughfoot, MoeBuck, timberman56, kpswihart, TurkeyJoe, !shiloh!, JA, Morris, rickyh_2, Ditchdigger, cartervj, RCHRR, eclipse829, Ruger7mag, Raspy, ALMODUX, bass1090, Gunner211, Jmkiper, Tree Dweller, crenshawco, 1 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #342910
05/31/12 12:55 PM
05/31/12 12:55 PM
N. Alabama
Reyn Offline
10 point
Reyn  Offline
10 point
N. Alabama
I've taken up serpents both poisionous and non. I hold them behind the head so they don't bite me though.

Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: BamaRich] #342913
05/31/12 01:06 PM
05/31/12 01:06 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: BamaRich
When you look at examples in the book of Acts, ability to do miracles were given when an apostle laid hands on someone (i.e. Acts 8:17, Acts 19:6). The only exception to this is found in Acts 10:44-48 with the case of Cornelius... and the explanation for why it didn't follow the normal "method" is found in Acts 11:1-18 (showed God's willingness to accept Gentiles into the faith).

In 1 Corinthians 13, the context is most certainly about the ability to exercise spiritual gifts (miraculous gifts). The preceeding chapter (12), deals with the subject... as does the subsequent chapter (14). Reading the three chapters as a group, brethren at Corinth were divided over spiritual gifts (gifts which allowed them to do miraculous things). Those possessing the gift of tongues/prophesy/faith to perform a miracle evidently thought they were superior to those with a "lesser gift". Note the reference to supernatural gifts in chapter 13:
* 1 - speak with tongues
* 2 - the gift of prophecy
* 2 - faith to move mountains (perform miracles)
* 3 - goods to feed poor (Romans 12:8 indicate it was gift)
* 8 - prophecies will fail
* 8 - tongues will cease
* 8 - knowledge will vanish away

Your reference to knowledge is also incorrect. The knowledge referred to in verse 8 was a partial knowledge (see verse 9). At the time of the writing, "knowledge" came from direct revelation from God... no copies of the New Testament were present in that time. Thus, church gatherings often consisted of prophets speaking direct messages from God (see 1 Corinthians 14). However, the "knowledge" people possessed was only a partial knowledge... it was not complete. The best we can see from the Bible is that it was "progressive"... God would give more to people as time went along.

1 Corinthians 13:10 indicate that performing miracles in the way they were done in the 1st Century would end... when "the perfect" would be come. Being that miracles were utilized to confirm a message and to help equip the church, something was going to supplant these supernatural gifts. That "something" was the completed New Testament (the Bible). When God's word could be read, the need for supernatural miracles ceased... and remember that when all the apostles died, the ability to pass the gift along died with them.

I'm not saying that "miracles" don't happen today... but they don't happen the way they occured in the New Testament. That is why you don't see people raising folks from the dead... or going to hospitals healing the sick. And, as someone said earlier, why you don't find people drinking poison. smile

Sorry,but I just have to disagree with you.You are simply trying to make the Bible fit your personal belief system.There are miracles and healings today,even documented cases of raising the dead.God is the same today,yesterday,and forever.Just because you don't see the same results the apostles had ,doesn't mean God's power and his willingness to use it today has passed away.It is possible you don't see it because you believe it isn't for us today and has passed away.Jesus could do no mighty work in his own country because of their unbelief Mark 6:5 and Matt 13:58.

Trying to make 1 Cor.say that God has created a new dispensation in which he is out of the Miracle and healing business is quite an extrapolation.Don't you think God would make such a thing much clearer.

There are also many counterfeit miracles just as there are also counterfeit $100 bills.It doesn't make them all fake though.

I have simply stated what I believe.I would hate to believe in a Savior who had lost his power or was simply unwilling to use it to help me just because I was born in the wrong century.I don't expect to change your mind and that makes me very sad for you.

I do wish you the best and since I don't think it's productive for Christians to argue about beliefs they are unwilling to change,I will probably not post again in this thread.Hopefully,we can agree that Jesus is Lord and the acceptance of His sacrifice for us,is the only way to salvation.If we can agree on that,you are my brother,and all else pales in comparisson.

Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #342918
05/31/12 01:14 PM
05/31/12 01:14 PM
Fayette Co.
H
hollywud20 Offline
Interwebs Genius
hollywud20  Offline
Interwebs Genius
H
Fayette Co.
I don't believe...... Na I ain't getting in this one. I'll have some popcorn and a root beer.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #342922
05/31/12 01:18 PM
05/31/12 01:18 PM
Fayette Co.
H
hollywud20 Offline
Interwebs Genius
hollywud20  Offline
Interwebs Genius
H
Fayette Co.
Yea I will a little. I see debilitated people everyday. You send me a hearer to ride around with me. I got 20 patients that are unable to walk. He can just come around with me and heal them. Wait. No. I'd be out of a job then. Never mind.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #342927
05/31/12 01:28 PM
05/31/12 01:28 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
I would never say,I could heal anyone.Even Jesus said,it was the Father in him who did the work.Even Jesus didn't heal everyone he came in contact with,just read the scriptures I referenced above.

I believe it is God's will to heal everyone.Maby we can agree that it is God's will to save everyone.Everyone will not be saved,just as everyone will not be healed.That doesn't mean it's not God's will to save them....or to heal them.

Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #342943
05/31/12 02:05 PM
05/31/12 02:05 PM
Moulton
ts1979flh Offline
10 point
ts1979flh  Offline
10 point
Moulton
One of the comments below the article:

“I went to a snake handling service once, sat between two older men the paster had big ole box full of snakes, he just put his leg in and started kicking those snakes around, the old guy on my left looked over at the other guy and said man he has got the faith, the other guy said yea he's got a wood leg too.”

Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: R_H_Clark] #343349
05/31/12 09:46 PM
05/31/12 09:46 PM
Northport, AL
B
BamaRich Offline
4 point
BamaRich  Offline
4 point
B
Northport, AL
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
Sorry,but I just have to disagree with you.You are simply trying to make the Bible fit your personal belief system.There are miracles and healings today,even documented cases of raising the dead.God is the same today,yesterday,and forever.Just because you don't see the same results the apostles had ,doesn't mean God's power and his willingness to use it today has passed away.It is possible you don't see it because you believe it isn't for us today and has passed away.Jesus could do no mighty work in his own country because of their unbelief Mark 6:5 and Matt 13:58.

Trying to make 1 Cor.say that God has created a new dispensation in which he is out of the Miracle and healing business is quite an extrapolation.Don't you think God would make such a thing much clearer.

There are also many counterfeit miracles just as there are also counterfeit $100 bills.It doesn't make them all fake though.

I have simply stated what I believe.I would hate to believe in a Savior who had lost his power or was simply unwilling to use it to help me just because I was born in the wrong century.I don't expect to change your mind and that makes me very sad for you.

I do wish you the best and since I don't think it's productive for Christians to argue about beliefs they are unwilling to change,I will probably not post again in this thread.Hopefully,we can agree that Jesus is Lord and the acceptance of His sacrifice for us,is the only way to salvation.If we can agree on that,you are my brother,and all else pales in comparisson.

In my posts, I laid out some ideas that you've failed to address in your answers... you simply claim I'm making 1 Corinthians 13 say something it doesn't say... and you frankly question my integrity in handling the Scriptures. It's one thing to say someone has made a mistake... it's another to accuse someone of twisting Scripture to fit a preconceived belief system. I believe what I believe not because I'm "conditioned" to... my belief system is a result of comprehensive study of the Scriptures. To clarify, I'll ask these questions.

(1) How did people after Christ's resurrection receive miraculous powers? Was it given to them directly from God when they believed or was it by the laying on of the apostle's hands?
(2) IF Scripture verifies that it was via the latter, what would occur when all of the apostles died?
(3) What were the purposes for miracles performed by believers in the New Testament after Christ's resurrection?
(4) Could those same purposes be accomplished when the books of the New Testament were collected and made available to all?

Does God perform miraculous things today? Certainly! But believers today do not have the ability to perform things which were done in New Testament times... not when one understands the nature of miracles in those days. And BTW, even people who had no faith in Jesus' day could readily see and understand when miracles were done (Pharisees/scribes acknowledged Jesus did miracles but attributed the power to Satan). So the fact that I don't "possess enough faith to see them" doesn't square with what the Bible teaches.

Last edited by BamaRich; 05/31/12 09:50 PM.
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: R_H_Clark] #343369
05/31/12 10:12 PM
05/31/12 10:12 PM
Northport, AL
B
BamaRich Offline
4 point
BamaRich  Offline
4 point
B
Northport, AL
[quote=BamaRich]I do wish you the best and since I don't think it's productive for Christians to argue about beliefs they are unwilling to change,I will probably not post again in this thread.Hopefully,we can agree that Jesus is Lord and the acceptance of His sacrifice for us,is the only way to salvation.If we can agree on that,you are my brother,and all else pales in comparisson.

Do wish to comment on this paragraph separately from my post above. I always believe healthy, passionate discussion is a positive thing on a public forum. People who are not involved in the discussion can weigh the evidence for themselves... and may hear things that they never may have considered in the past.

IMO, I don't think people look unfavorably at this kind of discussion of biblical matters. They do, however, look unfavorably at the ones that end up with petty name-calling, questioning of sincerity, or an attempt to belittle someone on the other side of the discussion. If what I believe can't hold up to an examination of Scripture, it can and should be exposed for what it is... falsehood. Typically, it's very easy to believe something to be true... but proving it by God's word to be true is another thing entirely. I am thankful for the opportunity to discuss this issue... my hope is that at least one person reading this thread will compare Scripture to what I've said... and as a result will realize what's so often done today in religion in regards to snakes/poison/tongues/etc. is totally different from what it was in the 1st Century. 2 Timothy 2:15

Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: ts1979flh] #343435
06/01/12 05:16 AM
06/01/12 05:16 AM
Tuscaloosa, AL
Bowfool Offline
12 point
Bowfool  Offline
12 point
Tuscaloosa, AL
Originally Posted By: ts1979flh
One of the comments below the article:

“I went to a snake handling service once, sat between two older men the paster had big ole box full of snakes, he just put his leg in and started kicking those snakes around, the old guy on my left looked over at the other guy and said man he has got the faith, the other guy said yea he's got a wood leg too.”
laughup Now that's funny rite there!

Last edited by Bowfool; 06/01/12 05:17 AM.

‘Obama Is the Greatest Hoax Ever Perpetrated on the American People’ - Clint Eastwood
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Bowfool] #343437
06/01/12 05:22 AM
06/01/12 05:22 AM
Needham
B
buckgrunt14 Offline
12 point
buckgrunt14  Offline
12 point
B
Needham
You know what old Wendy bag well said bout them sanging at one of those snake handling churches, when they tried to get him to hold one,

Wendy says the lord ain't told him to hold one so he ain't holding one...... I am with wendy

I'd be looking for the door

Loving God and Loving One Another; Start Each Day With The Lord! Because He Lives I Can Face Tomorrow.

Like and view our Facebook "Buckeye Hunting Inc "Page for pictures and organization information
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #343442
06/01/12 05:28 AM
06/01/12 05:28 AM
Tuscaloosa, AL
Bowfool Offline
12 point
Bowfool  Offline
12 point
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would not choose to worship this way, but I don't feel that it is my place to criticize them for doing it either. I bet there are people in those churches that really love the Lord and for whatever reason that they are doing God's will. Maybe part of that, is to test some of our hearts.

‘Obama Is the Greatest Hoax Ever Perpetrated on the American People’ - Clint Eastwood
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: BamaRich] #343715
06/01/12 03:10 PM
06/01/12 03:10 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: BamaRich

In my posts, I laid out some ideas that you've failed to address in your answers... you simply claim I'm making 1 Corinthians 13 say something it doesn't say... and you frankly question my integrity in handling the Scriptures. It's one thing to say someone has made a mistake... it's another to accuse someone of twisting Scripture to fit a preconceived belief system. I believe what I believe not because I'm "conditioned" to... my belief system is a result of comprehensive study of the Scriptures. To clarify, I'll ask these questions.

(1) How did people after Christ's resurrection receive miraculous powers? Was it given to them directly from God when they believed or was it by the laying on of the apostle's hands?
(2) IF Scripture verifies that it was via the latter, what would occur when all of the apostles died?
(3) What were the purposes for miracles performed by believers in the New Testament after Christ's resurrection?
(4) Could those same purposes be accomplished when the books of the New Testament were collected and made available to all?

Does God perform miraculous things today? Certainly! But believers today do not have the ability to perform things which were done in New Testament times... not when one understands the nature of miracles in those days. And BTW, even people who had no faith in Jesus' day could readily see and understand when miracles were done (Pharisees/scribes acknowledged Jesus did miracles but attributed the power to Satan). So the fact that I don't "possess enough faith to see them" doesn't square with what the Bible teaches.

Let me first say that I don't mean to question your integrity.I simply believe you are wrong.I don't mind a discussion as long as we are civil with each other.

1.The same way they recieved before Christ's resurrection.It has never been an individual's power but God working through them.Even Jesus said it was the father doing the works.Just one example is Ananias,who had no apostles hands laid on him,laying his hands on Paul to recieve his sight.Mark 16 says these signs shall follow them that are babtized and believe.It does not say,these signs shall follow you 11 and thoes you lay hands on untill I have time to have a bible written,so I won't need signs anymore.

2.God's plan all along was to live inside all Christians through the Holy Spirit and have his power and influence increase in the earth not to have it fade away as the apostles died off.

3.Same purpose before Christ and after his resurrection,to confirm his word.A better question might be the purpose of his word.God has always made covenant and released his word into the earth for the benefit of his creation.

4.Certinly,you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

I didn't go through and list a lot of scripture today because I am limited on time untill next week.I am sure you will try to find a lot of scripture to prove me wrong.I am just as sure I can use the same scripture and see it a different way.I'm not sure we will accomplish anything in the end.

Let me ask you a couple questions as well.

1.What gifts of the Holy Spirit do you believe have passed away? I find it very difficult to understand why you would think we don't need thoes gifts today.You will have to do better than 1 Cor. 13 as I have already explained that above.

2.Do you think God still heals today?

As to your last statement,what do you attribute miracles to today? Your arguement doesn't hold to what I said.Do you expect God to do miracles in a church full of people who believe he won't? What would you say if I brought to you different people who claim to have received miracles, healings and even had children raised from the dead? Would your answers be similar to the Pharisees?

Please know that I don't ask just to anger you.I truly believe that (ALL OF THAT IS PASSED AWAY) type of teaching has robbed God's people.Let's look at it from both sides a moment.If I am wrong,all I have done is incourage people to believe God.All I believe is that God will still do for his people EVERYTHING he has promised in his word,nothing more but nothing less.Now,if you are wrong,as I see it,someone might believe that God would perform a promise they had read in their bible,but you would tell them,..sorry that passed away when the last apostle died.

Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: R_H_Clark] #343758
06/01/12 05:49 PM
06/01/12 05:49 PM
Northport, AL
B
BamaRich Offline
4 point
BamaRich  Offline
4 point
B
Northport, AL
Let me first say that I don't mean to question your integrity.I simply believe you are wrong.I don't mind a discussion as long as we are civil with each other.

1.The same way they recieved before Christ's resurrection.It has never been an individual's power but God working through them.Even Jesus said it was the father doing the works.Just one example is Ananias,who had no apostles hands laid on him,laying his hands on Paul to recieve his sight.Mark 16 says these signs shall follow them that are babtized and believe.It does not say,these signs shall follow you 11 and thoes you lay hands on untill I have time to have a bible written,so I won't need signs anymore.

2.God's plan all along was to live inside all Christians through the Holy Spirit and have his power and influence increase in the earth not to have it fade away as the apostles died off.

3.Same purpose before Christ and after his resurrection,to confirm his word.A better question might be the purpose of his word.God has always made covenant and released his word into the earth for the benefit of his creation.

4.Certinly,you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

I didn't go through and list a lot of scripture today because I am limited on time untill next week.I am sure you will try to find a lot of scripture to prove me wrong.I am just as sure I can use the same scripture and see it a different way.I'm not sure we will accomplish anything in the end.

Let me ask you a couple questions as well.

1.What gifts of the Holy Spirit do you believe have passed away? I find it very difficult to understand why you would think we don't need thoes gifts today.You will have to do better than 1 Cor. 13 as I have already explained that above.

2.Do you think God still heals today?

As to your last statement,what do you attribute miracles to today? Your arguement doesn't hold to what I said.Do you expect God to do miracles in a church full of people who believe he won't? What would you say if I brought to you different people who claim to have received miracles, healings and even had children raised from the dead? Would your answers be similar to the Pharisees?

Please know that I don't ask just to anger you.I truly believe that (ALL OF THAT IS PASSED AWAY) type of teaching has robbed God's people.Let's look at it from both sides a moment.If I am wrong,all I have done is incourage people to believe God.All I believe is that God will still do for his people EVERYTHING he has promised in his word,nothing more but nothing less.Now,if you are wrong,as I see it,someone might believe that God would perform a promise they had read in their bible,but you would tell them,..sorry that passed away when the last apostle died.

The fundamental premise you hold is that people today perform miracles the same way they did in the 1st Century. My premise is that people today don't have the ability to do them... but God works them in a way that would be called "providence".

A study of miracles in the 1st Century reveals much. If you go back and search the New Testament, miracles were utilized for three main purposes.
(1) To confirm Christ's authority over Satan (Mark 6:7; Luke 4:33-36; Luke 5:20-24)
(2) To confirm a message was from God, not man (John 20:30-31; Luke 9:1-2; Hebrews 2:2-4)
(3) To equip the believers for the work of ministry/allow them to grow (Ephesians 4:11-16; 1 Corinthians 12:1-31)

So called "miracles" of today don't match up to what Scripture says about them in the New Testament. Notice a few discrepancies:
(1) Nowhere do you find that miracles in the NT were "expressions" of a person's individual faith. In fact, when you look at miracles in the book of Acts (a "portrait" of early Christians), never do you see people performing miracles for that type of reason.
(2) Tongues of "today" are giberish... not a known language. In Acts 2:4-11 and 1 Corinthians 14:6-11, it's clear that "tongues" were a language never studied by the one possessing the gift.
(3) Tongues in a church assembly should never be used unless those who were present could understand via an interpreter (1 Corinthians 14:27-28).

Regarding your questions, here's my reply.

(1) All of the supernatural gifts of the Spirit as seen in the NT have passed away. 1 Corinthians 13:8-13 and Ephesians 4:11-13 indicated the gifts were needed until the church would become mature... be able to exemplify the fulness of Christ. Today, the word of God provides those same things... something they didn't have access to as we have today (2 Timothy 3:16-17). BTW, you haven't satisfactorily made a case that 1 Corinthians is only about love... notice the references in my second post.
(2) God heals today... but he doesn't do it via a person praying to Him and then telling them they are healed as seen in Acts 9:36ff. But again, you have to go back and study why miracles were utilized in the 1st place in the New Testament. Miracles were for far more than just healing/helping a person... there was a broader purpose.

I respect your willingness to discuss the matter... please realize my beliefs come from a total study of miracles in the New Testament, not a study of just one or two passages. Simply put, today we have a very important tool at our disposal that 1st Century people did not have... the completed written word of God. And remember our Lord said those who were unwilling to believe the written word would not believe if they witnessed a notable miracle (Luke 16:31). Understand I'm not limiting God... I'm simply saying that this is how God has chosen to operate in our day and age. IF he wanted, he could equip anyone he wanted to do anything with power... power from his hand alone. Thanks for the opportunity to discuss God's word.

Last edited by BamaRich; 06/01/12 05:53 PM.
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #343785
06/01/12 07:13 PM
06/01/12 07:13 PM
Marshall County
FurFlyin Offline
Freak of Nature
FurFlyin  Offline
Freak of Nature
Marshall County
To BamaRich and R H Clark, very good thought provoking discussion. Thanks, I needed it.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Re: You get bite messing with snakes [Re: Geezer] #343788
06/01/12 07:30 PM
06/01/12 07:30 PM
Greensboro,Al.USA
Geezer Offline OP
12 point
Geezer  Offline OP
12 point
Greensboro,Al.USA
Yesterday a black friend of mine was picking peas for me and I mentioned the snake deal. His response was you don't see no black people handling snakes and you don't see no black people chaseing down allergaters neither. So I got to thinking I am as smart as that black guy.

I am drinking from my saucer cause my cup has overflowed. Thank you Lord
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2024 Aldeer LLP.