Originally Posted by Goatkiller

I don't understand why everyone thinks they will be working on a tractor instead of using it.... if they buy a used machine.

What are y'all talking about? Seriously. I've never experienced that and I have owned myself probably 25-30 different tractors in my lifetime of all vintages and makes and models and horsepower.

If you want to blame it on the machine you bought/inherited a true POS from somewhere... and should be able to recognize what you are dealing with. If you have owned an older tractor that wasn't reliable that's on you. That's not the machine's fault. Don't buy something that's was wore out before it was used in a hay operation.

Plenty of good low hour nice equipment out there and prices are rising and they are selling at a premium for good reason.

Could be true, but I know several people who have waited days to weeks for a part for an older tractor. Then they get the part, and it's not the right part, because it got substituted 25 years ago when there was a shortage. One friend finally got the correct part for his Massey on the 4th try.

Starters, water pumps, injector pumps just don't last forever. Not terribly expensive to fix, just frustrating for me personally to have to wait or work on something that I want to be using.