Originally Posted by MorningAir
Anybody ever wonder if the decline is a lot worse than they’re letting be known. I know some people still have good seasons, but I’ve talked to several people that basically have zero birds now on properties and clubs that had ample gobblers less than 5 years ago. I’m taking about decent sized acreage too with good habitat. I’m talking about more states than Alabama.

I know for a fact there is a decline across Alabama and multiple states. I have personally seen and experienced it. My beef with this whole get on the bandwagon with Dr. Turkey is that none of it addresses the real issues. Limiting the length of season and reducing the bag limit isn't going to fix the problem of a declining turkey population. All you have to do is look at Arkansas as a prime example. Will it save some gobblers absolutely, but on the large scale I simply do not see it as the saving grace of the wild turkey. I personally feel as though the more these states limit and restrict the hunters the worse the problem will become. They simply will take the incentive away from the backbone (private landowners) of producing turkeys, therefore it will get worse in my personal opinion.

The issues are numerous and more complex than they are willing to admit in my personal opinion. The only thing the state can control are the season dates and bag limits in addition to managing the properties they control more intensively. Most of us already know how well our state manages the public resources they control.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life.
Comes to us at midnight very clean.
It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."