Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by crenshawco
Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Green label Evan Williams

Yep I had a bad run in with that stuff in high school. I've been done with it since.

The John Emerald whiskey out of Opelika that I've tried is pretty terrible too

I agree, i tried the Emerald and it wasn't for me

Wow... I think Emerald is good stuff. So do all my buddies up here on the mountain. I've never understood the appeal of Buffalo Trace. It's not bad, but it's nothing special. On the other hand I like Old Grandad Bottled in Bond. So I guess different people's tastes are different.

I honestly can't say the last time I've had bad whiskey. I have bought and drank inexpensive stuff, but I'm still choosy.

I remember one time on one of our motorcycle trips. Mrs. Irish and I had the John Clark mansion all to ourselves in Clarksdale, Mississippi. We were sitting on the large veranda and we looked at each other and said, "We need some whiskey." So I hopped on my trusty Bonneville and went to one of the few liquor stores around. It was one of those that had an entrance area and you were separated from the proprietor by a cage of steel bars.

He asks me, "Wadda want?"
"Well I don't know, wadda have?"

He looked me up and down and I guess deemed me trustworthy and opened the steel gate so I could come in the back and look around. I walked back feeling somewhat privileged at this point, only to find the selection of bourbon somewhat limited to what might sell to the local demographic. The bottle of Old Charter was deemed to be the least offensive, so I grabbed it.

I got back and poured Mrs. Irish and I both a glass on the rocks and we sat on the veranda and enjoyed the summer evening. It was actually pretty decent bourbon and one of the more memorable glasses of whiskey I have had.