Originally Posted by BhamFred
Late season , one bird left on limit, I hear a gobble at fly up time. I ease thru the flat hardwoods to within 100 yards. I'm a lil bored so I hit the snuff can and two birds respond with multiple gobbles. I cackle and get 8 er 10 gobbles in response. I am having fun. At slap dark they are still gobbling at each other and I slip out, leaving a trail to get back before daylight.
I get out of the truck in the pitch dark and ease into my spot, 75 yards from two roosted birds. I quietly make a lil blind with some pine tops I brought in with me and settle in.
I wait or the first gobble...and wait...and wait. I'm a little impatient this morning. Finally I decide to cluck once...BAM, I get six gobbles in rapid succession from both birds. It is pretty dark in the woods so I decide not to call again. I'm just sitting, chilling then notice something, a small white spot right in front of me, WTH??
Damn, it's a gobbler at ten steps IN THE DAMN NEAR DARK. I can see maybe 20 yards. I raise my 870 and flame shoots six FEET out the barrel on the shot. I jump up and take three steps and put a foot on his neck. I look up and his buddy is standing ten feet away just looking at me. Damn, he has a 12" beard..I tell him to scat before I shoot his ass. He walks off slowly, looking back at me.
Neighbor accuses me of limbing one.....
I don't call that early to a roosted bird anymore....

Be honest, you know you kilt both of em. smile