Originally Posted by oakachoy
Originally Posted by abolt300
I’ll tell you this, you’re crazy not to have the tree strap buckle pulled up to the top of each arm and buckled together so that it and the cable form a complete circle around the tree. The stand is inherently unsafe and subject to slippage the way you’re using it in the picture. 90% of tree stand accidents are the result of people not using the stands and safety features as designed. Those two straps that are hanging there on each side of the stand with the male and female buckle parts flapping in the breeze are almost as important as the metal pin you drop in the hole to secure the cable. People never cease to amaze me. If you hunt with it like that, both top and bottom, you’re really lucky you haven’t had an accident yet. Used properly, they are as safe as anything out there. I have 3 ol man stands and 3 summits. I use the all interchangeably with confidence.

Well, I am lucky then, I tie the top to the bottom with them where the if the bottom slipped it would not go far. I will reevaluate that situation.

I honestly learned the hard way right after they came out. I said “ what is this all this extra crap I don’t need that will just potentially make noise. I took them off and tossed them in the back of the truck. I was sitting in it with my back to the tree (Slick barked hardwood) like you’re doing and the next thing I knew my ass was on the bottom platform with my knees hitting me in the chin. Safety harness probably kept me from getting tossed out since it was tight. Got repositioned very very carefully and climbed down. Spooked me pretty bad. Another member told me he’d done the same thing and explained Why it works. I went back and read the manual on it and then it all makes sense. When you connect those two and pull them tight, they make a complete loop around the tree with the cable. Manual specifically says do not sit or hunt from the stand without those straps in place. It is virtually impossible for the stand to slip or even move on the tree when they are properly attached and cinched down. Both should be pulled up to the top of the posts on both sides and secured/ tightened in place there. I still tie my bottom to the top as an additional safety measure but when used properly, neither piece is going anywhere. Try it like I’m saying and you’ll be amazed at the difference in stability. Even on hard slick trees.

Last edited by abolt300; 02/18/21 08:19 PM.