I'm glad to hear some interest on the topic! I would love to hear any feedback, even if you think I have no idea what I'm talking about. If you do think that, an explanation on why would be useful.

Most of what I know applies to hog hunting everywhere, hunt the creek bottoms and keep the wind in your face. You especially want check out spots where the creek widens and forms a marshy area. I also see a higher concentration of sign where the creek bottom is a few miles away and a few hundred feet below the nearest road. I usually hear them or smell them before I see them, so keep your earplugs out and mask off your nose until you know where they are.

I've heard from other hunters that wild hogs don't like to climb hills, but that is not the case in Bankhead. I've seen rooting on slopes that I have trouble walking up and down. The hogs at Bankhead also tend to be pretty active during the day, even in warm weather.

I have a much easier time finding them during warmer months, and I have a theory on their movement patterns for that time of year. This is just my guess, so any info from others would be useful, even if it contradicts what I say. When it's hot out, they seem to be confined to the marshes where there is reliable mud around. At night they move uphill to feed, and come back before it warms up. After they have exhausted an area, they move to the next marsh to spend their days.

Finding these hogs reminds me of the game "Warmer, Colder" I played as a kid. I'll find some sign here and there shortly after leaving the truck, and if I head in the right direction, the sign gets more concentrated. This was the method I used to find the marsh where they currently resided. I went to a few places where the sign dissipated, so I moved on until I found a marsh where it looked like the dirt was recently tilled. I tried to move in closer that day, but the wind shifted, and I then heard squeals and running. I came back a few days later and climbed a tree downwind of the marsh that overlooked an exit trail. I had a few hogs get really close, but never saw one. I went out a week later with the plan on climbing a tree closer in, but I ended up hearing a sounder on the way in, so I dropped my pack started stalking. Sneaking up on them was pretty easy. I would wait until they were making a bunch of noise, and use their sound as cover. I ended up seeing nine of them, and I even had a delicious 30 pounder and a giant 200+ pounder give me a shot. I didn't shoot either time though, because I was on the ground, and there was nine of them forming a half circle around me. Maybe I'm a coward for not shooting, but I didn't want to get charged by a sounder from multiple directions while miles deep in the woods alone. In hindsight, I should have climbed a tree downwind as close I could have gotten.

I went out there in December with deer as the primary objective, but was still looking out for hogs. I found fresh wallows 100 feet above the creek, which I didn't see in September-October. I also took a quick walk through a marsh, where I saw some fresh sign, but nothing like I saw in the warmer months. I don't think they are confined to the marshes during the day in the winter, making them much harder to find.