Originally Posted by Remington270
Originally Posted by CNC
What I'd plant would depend on the soil conditions........If the conditions were favorable enough I would plant something that provides attraction and nutrition to the deer while at the same time adding diverse biomass to the soil to feed it as well.....The mix you mentioned would work well in good conditions. If I were in the beginning process of rebuilding soil I would look to a more grass dominated mix

CNC, have you done a warm season milo throw and mow?

I havent in a long time. It was the first thing I ever experimented with......It did ok but like I said I was just getting started. I'm sure I would have better results now that I've been building soil for a decade. Millet is gonna be one of your easiest summer grass crops to get established and grow. I'd probably use it in the beginning until your soil becomes more conditioned....If you use milo then use it in a mix......A mix is usually gonna be your best bet......However, there are times when you may be needing carbon much more than nitrogen or vice versa and you may want to look at growing either a pure grass crop or a pure legume crop to balance things out. This would be situations like where there was no topsoil at all (need grass/carbon)......or situations where maybe an old pasture is overgrown with a monoculture of bahia grass (need N to balance decomposition) .....Each situation would need a different prescription.....When everything is nicely balanced and on a productive path then a seed blend of several species will serve you well as it brings in a balanced mix of carbon and nitrogen, etc......It gives you the diversity you're looking for so that things stay balanced and the soil working efficiently.

Last edited by CNC; 02/08/21 08:56 AM.

We dont rent pigs