Originally Posted by Bustinbeards
Congrats again jono, I grew up around the park and there are tons of deer there. And you are spot on with your assessment of where they are. But there is also some big woods hunting and don’t forget the mountainous region of Pelham running right through the park. It is a beautiful place. Looks like y’all stayed at the cabins, did you stay in the park?

It was absolutely beautiful. My friend and I kept remarking how pretty the woods were, especially further in. The spot my friend hunted closer to the sewer plant/ Wildlife center was much bigger woods, I just don't really know how to hunt that yet I guess. That whole half of our zone was nothing but that. WIDE open woods.

We did stay at the cabin. When I got selected, my wife suggested that we just make it a trip for all of us. Her and my daughter went hiking, to the playground, the demo farm, and the McWane center. They had a great time too. It was a good trip for all of us. The cabins aren't fancy but they were adequate and the lake they were on was absolutely gorgeous. We were the only people over there till the last night when a bunch of grillers showed up for a grilling competition. If I ever get selected again, we would rent a cabin again.

It seemed kind of weird to me that not many people were willing to share info on their hunts out there. I guess it's just holdover from how the hunts used to be run, but now that it is a SOA the chances of hunting the same zone (or even the same SOA) seem pretty slim. I want to see some other people kill some deer! Even the other hunters that were there the same week as us wouldn't really share what they were seeing too much. I'm like that with all other land I hunt but I felt like this was a good opportunity to be able to talk about it and it not matter.