Originally Posted by deadeye48
Originally Posted by Andalusia
I have the next 5 days off and was hoping to set my first traps for coyotes. But it looks like we are getting rain late Wednesday and all day Thursday. What are your thoughts on setting with rain coming? I was planning on using dirt hole sets. This will be my first rookie attempt at setting traps. Thanks for any input!

I always use pillow fill under the pan no matter the weather
You can buy a big bag at WM for a few bucks
I’ve never used pan covers
The pillow fill will keep dirt from getting under the pan and let the trap fire as designed.....never had any issues using it

I put out my MB550's and used the polyfil under the pan. The fill was plump but fit snugly under the pan. I covered with dirt. The next day had a decent rain. Noticed that the traps were all covered in dirt but the polyfill was partially on top of the dirt. This happened at probably 3 out of 6 traps. Didn't reset since ground was wet and was able to still get a coyote and coon. Have you had this happen? Did I do something wrong? Haven't tried screen yet, thought I would start with the polyfil first. Thanks for any input.

"If you are the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room"

"How you do Anything, is how you do Everything"

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"