Originally Posted by hunterbuck
Originally Posted by Drake322
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I missed being grandfathered in by a matter of days when they passed this nonsense. I drove to Montgomery and took an in-person test in order to get the certification so that I wouldn't be illegal on a trip I had planned. The test back then was hard and I remember that I had to study in order to pass it. I didn't know what some of those buoys in the gulf were about, as I had never operated a boat in salt water.

I have heard that they watered the test down since then, but I don't know if taking it in person and getting immediate certification is still an option, but you might check on it. I will say that I have never once had it checked in the 23 years since they required it.

Don't know how, but I got granfathered in when it became mandatory and I am 51. Never took the test. I think it has something to do with us in shop class years ago and the hunter education & boaters class we took.

Unless the law has changed, you do not have to show the V on your license if you pass the test. You will receive a cert number saying you passed. Just print out the paper and put in water tight bag/box. My wife did this when she passed hers and daughter too when she turned 14 for the jet ski use. They want their money no doubt.

I don't think that's correct. ALEA's website says you have to add it to your license.

ALEA...

The vessel class "V" must be added to your license if you intend to operate a motorized vessel.

Kids under 16 don't have a driver's license, so the certificate suffices there.

Hunterbuck, let me be a little more clear. I do not think you have to get it added immediately thus having a copy of the confirmation number. Just have it added next license renewal. I may be wrong, have been before!