Originally Posted by Cynical

No dude, I think you're the guy who sees a huge pile of horse manure under your feet and is smiling because there's a horse nearby. I.e., you're (probably unintentionally) looking at weeds and trying to find the good in it, even for noxious weeds. Other people don't view them the same. They're an agronomic problem, not a benefit.

I disagree….They do have a agronomic benefit and a purpose. Their job is to be the first ones in to a degraded situation. They reestablish root channels….recover the soil surface…..stop any erosion….etc….They are like the first responders of the plant world. They are what we call “noxious” so that they are able to do their first responder jobs without the animals wiping them out. If that happened then the situation would possibly remain degraded forever. Its only after these plants have done their job and the soil has been put back on a path to being healthy and fertile again that the other plants…more beneficial to wildlife…..return and take their place. If soil is kept in a situation where its void of organic matter and life….then nature will continue to send in the first responders.

“The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”

--- Aldo Leopold

Last edited by CNC; 08/05/20 11:26 AM.

We dont rent pigs