Originally Posted by GomerPyle

When we moved into our current house several years ago, we had a survey done despite being in an established subdivision, because we knew we'd be putting a fence up. Turns out the property line was not where the previous owner and my neighbor thought it was (perfectly in between the 2 houses). Instead, it was about 2' from the corner of his house. Even worse (for him), the city has an easement between the 2 houses for an underground storm drain.........that easement actually goes about 5' into his house. Basically, whoever laid out that neighborhood and its lots 25-30 yrs ago really screwed up on his lot and the placement of his home in the lot.

He stayed pissed off at ME for a few years after all that, as if it were somehow MY fault.

The lesson here is to ALWAYS pay for a survey, subdivision or not.

Good advice Gomer. Developments often only have a front setback from the property line and side and rear clearances are specified. In other words, your house can literally be built where it lies partially on your neighbors property as long as minimum clearance between the structures is maintained.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe